Camera Woes!

brobinson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Now begins the discussion...

I've been shooting with my Nikon D40 for about a year now. I have found it to be a wonderful camera for someone just starting out in photography. It has all the features the beginner would need, but not so many that it would take you an hour just to go through all the menus. I've probably shot near 10,000 pictures on this camera, so I haven't been shy. I primarily shoot nature scenes and portraits. I do *some* limited sports shooting, but it's very minimal and I only do it for personal use.

As always, there is a problem...Besides the obvious AF-S lenses and their cost, I feel as if the camera no longer meets my needs. I've shot with many 'pro' cameras in the past few months and I just love the feel of them so much more. I've compared images and there really is a major difference (besides just the lenses). I do own several moderately high-end lenses (f/2.8 and below) and I just feel like the camera is holding me back. I don't know if that makes sense or not.

I've been camera shopping and have come to like the D70/D80 the D100/D200, and of course, the beautiful D2X. At this point, I see absolutely no reason to purchase a D2X. That is far too much camera for an amateur. I do have a local friend who is selling her D2H for $600, but I don't know if that's worth it or not. Shutter was just replaced, but again, is it worth the price? A professional photographer told me not to stress the body too much because what counts the most is what stands between you and the scene--glass. High-quality glass usually enables one to capture high-quality (at least sharp) pictures.

Anyhow, I'm sure you're tired of hearing me ramble. Here's my question: Which camera series (D70, D80, etc.) and why? Please don't just throw out a select camera without a reason.

If I haven't supplied enough information for you to recommend a camera, then let me know and I will be happy to fill in the blanks!

Thanks in advance!
Brendan

My last dSLR was the D2X. I loved it. I don't think there is such a thing as "too much camera for an amateur" That's like too much hammer for an experienced carpenter. You either have a tool that does what you want as well as you able or you don't. I sold it about 6 months ago for $2,500 but with allot of lenses which actually brought the total way WAY up. ;)

$600 for a D2H Pro body in near mint condition is about right or maybe $50 on the low side. They go for $300 to $400 with a few scuff-marks.

As for a recommendation I guess D300 or D700 are good assuming you want a Nikon.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back