Can a Macro Lens be used a Portrait lens?

Canuk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The title says it all, and I know it is kind of a silly question.
I would like to get a Macro lens and just want to make sure that it could be able to be used for regular photography as well.
I'm thinking in the 100mm range.

Thanks in advance.

As a 100mm prime, as long as you have the distance between you and your subject to compose the shot, it'll work as a portrait lens.

Sure, macro lenses are corrected to have a flat focus field at close distances and some may have a few extra smaller fstops like f32 or 64 so as to give added depth of field at close working distances. They usually have extra extension so they can focus really close for use on very small subjects. They will however, focus at infinity like any other lens. As for portrait use, they are fine and often come in focal lengths that make them perfect for that.

I didn't think there would be a problem but thought I'd ask. I know a 100mm will probably be long for portraits but great for macro.
Thanks for the quick reply Buckster

I don't know about the canon version but I know that many, many, many Nikon shooters use the 105 2.8 macro as a portrait lens. Heck I know a guy that has never taken a macro photo in his life and bought a 105 macro strictly for use as a portrait lens.

I have a 7D which is a crop sensor. I have a 60mm macro that I also use for portraits. I don't know what camera body you are using or what you plan for your portraits in terms of distance to subject, but here is an idea of what you can get with a 60mm macro:

MG6286-XL.jpg

MG7348-XL.jpg

Destin said:
I don't know about the canon version but I know that many, many, many Nikon shooters use the 105 2.8 macro as a portrait lens. Heck I know a guy that has never taken a macro photo in his life and bought a 105 macro strictly for use as a portrait lens.

I actually stopped using my 80-200mm and started using my 105mm micro as my portrait lens. For myself it's just more convenient.

Most reactions

Back