Can anyone here rebuild a lens?

Pyrex

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took it upon myself to disassemble my 18-70mm nikkor lens, and now I'm unable to put it back together again. I have all the parts and every screw, the circuit board is in an ESD bag, I just need someone capable that can reassemble the lens for me. Is anyone familiar with this lens? Can anyone recommend some way for me to get this thing fixed? :lol:

:roll: :lol:

Usually, when putting a lens together, there is some seriously sophisticated alignment tools that are needed. So if you have messed with the wrong parts, it may need to sent in for professional doctoring.

:roll: :lol:

Usually, when putting a lens together, there is some seriously sophisticated alignment tools that are needed. So if you have messed with the wrong parts, it may need to sent in for professional doctoring.

Mike, that's not the kind of answer I was looking for. I took it to a local photo shop which told me they could do the repair for 50 dollars no problem, brought it in, put down the required 30, then they call me back a week later and tell me its going to be another 200... so forget that, I'm picking the lens up. I took it down to reach the front element, which had a metal shaving rattling around inside of it showing up on my pictures, I cleaned it out, but there is 3 retainers that sit inside the element carrier that have to be put into little slots so the carrier can be bolted into the main housing, and I dont have the patience to deal with little small pieces of plastic.

My guess is that they would just send it in themselves...so you could try cutting out the middle man and see how much the manufacturer's service centre would charge.

My guess is that they would just send it in themselves...so you could try cutting out the middle man and see how much the manufacturer's service centre would charge.

there has to be someone who can assemble a lens on this forum.

I know that there exists repair manuals and drawings for most/all lenses. The repair centers have them...but I don't know if those are publicly avaliable. Google is your friend.

Call Nikon, believe me it will be worth it. If you need any parts from a Mamiya or a Tokina let me know.

On the plus side I did put my Nikon 70-210 back together and it now works wonderfully so if you keep trying you may get it. ;)

Call Nikon, believe me it will be worth it. If you need any parts from a Mamiya or a Tokina let me know.

On the plus side I did put my Nikon 70-210 back together and it now works wonderfully so if you keep trying you may get it. ;)

call nikon and tell them I took apart my lens and screwed myself? :)

Does anyone have these manuals? I have googled the hell out of this to no avail.

I took it upon myself to disassemble my 18-70mm nikkor lens, and now I'm unable to put it back together again.
Are you serious? Why did you take it apart in the first place? it'd probably be cheaper to just buy a new one instead of trying to fix it.

call nikon and tell them I took apart my lens and screwed myself? :)

Does anyone have these manuals? I have googled the hell out of this to no avail.

I hate to tell you this, but what you are asking is pretty much like rebuilding a [SIZE=-1]Lamborginni engine with a bobbie pin and a roll of duct tape. Sounds like a good idea at the time until you try to fire it up and pistons are launching through the head. Today's lenses are precision instruments that take precision tools to repair and I don't know a whole lot of folks that buy those kind of tools just to have lying around.

You pretty much have a choice of buying a new lens or calling Nikon.
[/SIZE]

Well I'm sure with enough effort you can reassemble it. Focusing it may be an entirely different issue.

I hate to tell you this, but what you are asking is pretty much like rebuilding a [SIZE=-1]Lamborginni engine with a bobbie pin and a roll of duct tape. Sounds like a good idea at the time until you try to fire it up and pistons are launching through the head. Today's lenses are precision instruments that take precision tools to repair and I don't know a whole lot of folks that buy those kind of tools just to have lying around.

You pretty much have a choice of buying a new lens or calling Nikon.
[/SIZE]

And what would nikon do?

Are you serious? Why did you take it apart in the first place? it'd probably be cheaper to just buy a new one instead of trying to fix it.

the lens was worthless if it was broken. The reason I took it apart was because it was cheaper to buy a new one, and possibly completely free to fix it.

And what would nikon do?

The same thing that [SIZE=-1]Lamborginni does. Buy and own the right tools because they are the ones designing, building and repairing [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Lamborginnis. Nikon designs, builds and repairs Nikon lenses. They have the tools. I don't design build or repair lenses, thus I don't have the tools. Do you?[/SIZE]

Hmm... Disassembling a lens would be the last thing I do when it comes to repairing photo equipment. I've done my share of 'take-it-apart-and-put-it-back-together' to know better than working on lenses. However (and this is no encouragement of any kind), if and when you decide to take a lens, or any other photo equipment apart, always take digital pictures of every step of the disassembly. That way you'll kow your way back. Also, make notes along, drawing, if necessary. My advice to you for the lens you just took apart? Send it in to Nikon. Swallow the cost and think of it as a lesson in camera/lens disassembling experience. I know, I have done the same... ;)

Most reactions

Back