Can anyone recommend a point & shoot?

ddm1975

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It's time to upgrade and I'm sticking to Canon. Does anyone have one of the newer point and shoot models? I don't want to spend more than $250.

I've been looking at this one, but would like more reviews if anyone has used it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...B001_PowerShot_SD880_IS_Digital.html#features

I'm just wondering if the DIGIC 4 Image Processor with iSAPS Technology is much better than the DIGIC III processor of the more inexpensive models:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...B001_PowerShot_A1000_IS_Digital.html#features

TIA

I just got a Powershot SD1100 IS for my wife (pink like Avril Lavigne :greenpbl: )

It's tiny and so far I don't have much to complain about.

Thanks guys! I guess I should have mentioned that I needed one of the more compact ones; just looked up the S5 and it is too big! :wink:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=15207

Mike, I've also looked at this one. Have you shot with it? I want a P&S that doesn't have the lag that my old A95 has. KWIM? You push the button, then it waits - flashes for red eye and by the time the pic is taken your subjects have already moved away. Is that the point of the DIGIC III processor? To keep that from happening?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/545823-REG/Canon__PowerShot_SD1100_IS_Digital.html

They are both good cameras that will be good enough to point and shoot. The DIGIC IV is better than the DIGIC III, but I'm not sure you will notice the difference. If you are taking snapshots of your family, some landmarks while on the vacation and the odd leafy tree in Fall, then the cheaper one should suit your needs.

As long as its 10 megapix or under, has IS, you should be ok.

Just my 2 cents

Mike, I've also looked at this one. Have you shot with it? I want a P&S that doesn't have the lag that my old A95 has. KWIM? You push the button, then it waits - flashes for red eye and by the time the pic is taken your subjects have already moved away. Is that the point of the DIGIC III processor? To keep that from happening?
This has been a problem with 'P&S digi cams' for a long time. They do get better but I don't know if the problem is gone or not with the newest models.

I think part of the issue is the slow AF. If you prefocus (hold down the button halfway, it's much faster to take the image when you want to).

I haven't really thought too much about it, but our little camera does have a slight delay but not too bad.

Thanks again! I would love to be able to try some of these out, but every time I got to the local mart or electronic store; even though they are on display - they NEVER have batteries or power to truly try them out! I'm thinking that the digic IV would probably be a tad better than the digic III.

Bigtwinky, it IS pretty much for just snapshots when I don't want to lug around my other gear; but I still want the best shots possible for the least amount of cash possible.

I have seen some shots out of the 880, that's a great little camera for the money!

Thanks again! I would love to be able to try some of these out, but every time I got to the local mart or electronic store; even though they are on display - they NEVER have batteries or power to truly try them out!
Do you have a camera store around you, they will be more likely to have working demos.

Do you have a camera store around you, they will be more likely to have working demos.

Yes, I'm going to try to hit some tomorrow. :wink:

Is the budget set in stone?

I ask because it's really worth it to consider the Powershot G9 or G10. It's like a DSLR trapped in a point-n-shoot body! Full manual settings, RAW format images, hot shoe, etc. But the price is above your budget.

Hmmmm, the specs on the G10 do look nice, but not sure I want to swing $400 + for a P&S since I'm also eyeing the 70-200 4L right now!

And I did hit my local camera shop yesterday and not only did they not have any cameras for display, but they didn't have any canon lenses either! :x So I went to Circuit City where they must have had 50 cameras on display and not a 1 had batteries or memory to take a few shots - OH wait ONE had batteries - a sony that I was in no way interested in.

Viridari I'll keep the G10 in mind but checked out the Powershot SX110 at office depot and yes it had batteries and memory!!! I think it's pretty decent and I can get it for about $220.

I bought my SD880 2 weeks ago and so far love it. It goes everywhere with me. It fits nicely into my pockets, has pretty decent IQ for a p&s and best of all, comes with 28mm lens. For me it's the best compact camera for the money.

Most reactions

Back