Can anyone say dilemma?

aprileve

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I so don't know what to do...advice please?!

Over the Christmas break I went back to my home state and while back there for 2 weeks a friend of a friend asked me to do some family photos. Set the time. Date. Told them to wear solids, dress similar, you know...the usual.
Anyways, she wanted to do it at a park which I was totally unfamiliar with. But that's fine. I show up early enough to try to scope the place out and get some ideas but the park is completely void of any nice back drops, and is covered in people. And they show up in black and white. The mom and daughter wearing black. The dad and son in white.
So we take pictures, all the while me trying to be totally creative and out of my element.
So I'm back in NC now and looking at the pics and I totally hate them. The PPing is near impossible with their contrast being all wacky in black and white and the backgrounds are just terrible. Seriously...hating them.
I have no idea what to do. Should I just PP them and say, "hey, this is the best I could come up with?" and totally sound like a terrible photographer? or should I offer a redo the next time I'm in town...which might be next christmas?
Seriously. no idea. I hate them though. This is the first time this has happened. If they were in town I'd say to just have a redo, but with them being 27+ hour drive away...that's not happening anytime soon.

Sometimes, we can be a lot more critical of our work than our clients...you may not love them but maybe they will. For this reason, I would advise against the 'This is the best I could come up with' option. If you are going to give them the photos, don't give them any impression that you don't love them as well.

That being said, it's your business...if you don't think they meet your acceptable standards...then don't deliver them and deal with the consequences of that.

The fact that they are far away, does complicate things...but it may also be helpful. You are unlikely to get many referrals from them, so maybe it's not so critical that they aren't your best photos.

thanks Big Mike.
as always, good words of advice. :)

can we see em?

Yeah, as Big Mike said, we're all our own worst critics. Also agreeing with what Big Mike said; I'd advise against 'sorry, this is what I've got'. Maybe you could somehow collaborate with a local photog down there?.. I dunno, take what I say with a grain of salt-I'm not pro by any means.

post a couple and get some opinions. :) They might not be that bad or fixable

People are usually reasonable if you're straight with them. Tell them that you'd normally offer to redo a session when it isn't your best work but the distance is an issue. Ask them if they'd like the pictures or if they'd rather get their money back. I'd like to see some of the shots too - maybe they're not even bad enough to bring it up to the customer.

You should post some of the shots on the forum. Everyone is their own worst critic, so maybe you're being especially hard on yourself. Also, just because you don't think they are you're best work doesn't mean the clients won't...

I have to laugh because my very first shoot, the mom and dad wore black, and the daughter wore a creme color.

I agree- post them here. I'm sure they aren't as bad as you think they are, and the family will probably like them just fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back