Can anything save Sony?

Umm, if you've been talking about what is best "for you" this whole time then it's a pointless discussion. I was talking purely numbers and specs.

Umm, if you've been talking about what is best "for you" this whole time then it's a pointless discussion. I was talking purely numbers and specs.
The world isn't objective. It's subjective.

Just like the term best.

I don't care if Sony cuts back on anything just as long as they keep producing game systems lol. It seems like the only profitable part of Sony nowadays (and maybe their cameras)

I dunno. With the A7, I feel like there's something positive going on there. I hate the very first SLT cameras (a55, for example) they came out with, but drastic improvements were made quite quickly, and I've almost switched a few times. As for their other stuff... I have no idea. Personally, I don't see their stuff to be on the same level as Samsung's 4K ULTIMATE MACHO MACHINE WITH BIGGER NUMBERS TVs, or their stereos competing with Bose and the like, but that's my impression of the brand. Maybe cameras and gaming is where they're going to focus, since they do make sensors for Nikon, Hasselblad, etc, etc.

How come nobody mentions Sony's totally awesome MOVIE and MUSIC division and all the awesome movies and music they spend millions of dollars per month on? I mean, clearly, SONY has the best movies of allll the camera companies! And no camera maker--not one--can match the amazing hip-hop or R&B music coming out of Sony! I mean, we all know that Canon makes a mean photocopier, but Sony leads the camera business by a mile with its movie and music offerings!

I dunno. With the A7, I feel like there's something positive going on there. I hate the very first SLT cameras (a55, for example) they came out with, but drastic improvements were made quite quickly, and I've almost switched a few times. As for their other stuff... I have no idea. Personally, I don't see their stuff to be on the same level as Samsung's 4K ULTIMATE MACHO MACHINE WITH BIGGER NUMBERS TVs, or their stereos competing with Bose and the like, but that's my impression of the brand. Maybe cameras and gaming is where they're going to focus, since they do make sensors for Nikon, Hasselblad, etc, etc.

No their tvs are top tier - The Sony KD-65X9005B is a thoroughly intoxicating example of leading-edge 4K tech. The UHD image quality with native content exhibits a depth and detail that's beguiling, while its 2160p upscaling talents are top notch. You can be confident that this set will make all your current TV favourites look better than they've ever done before. Active Shutter 3D performance is (literally) outstanding. The provision of HEVC decoding and HDMI 2.0 compatibility ensures a level of future-proofing, important as 4K standards remain in a state of flux. Overall, the KD-65X9005B is a genuine showstopper. Sony is back at the top of its TV game.

and this is coming from someone that would never buy a Sony tv.

I don't think they're doing much as far as sound is concerned. Also, Bose generally isn't considered to be that great these days.

I guess I haven't been paying attention to TVs for a while. Not too long ago, their TVs went from AMAZING AWESOME to average meh, but by all means things could have (and apparently have) changed.

I guess I haven't been paying attention to TVs for a while. Not too long ago, their TVs went from AMAZING AWESOME to average meh, but by all means things could have (and apparently have) changed.

I just recently purchased a new LED flat panel. Being a Samsung whore, I of course went right to them first. Ive had half a dozen monitors by Samsung and 2 LCD TV's by them including, the S3, Note 2 and now Note 3 smart phones. All served me very well and no complaints from anything Samsung has made. I did however take note at the Sony LED sitting right next to it on the wall at Best Buy. The picture was far superior, the price was better and so was the warranty. So I went with the Sony. All of the TV's by Sony had a better price and picture compared to the other in the same price point.

I just happen to start using Sony DSLR's by no other reasons than I like what they were offering. Now I am huge fan of there camera's. I would say from personal experience they produce a very good product and are among the best. Their TV line has the lowest failure rate and from what I see the best picture available, currently.

And yet Sony sensors are everywhere--not exactly the products of a stagnant company. Seems Sony is smarter than the people who knock their merch.

Interesting. Mind you aside from their cameras I'm not much of a Sony fan but... They're simply making top tier products in their respective categories. They have one of the best android smart phones and their TV's are considered to be reference level.
I think they're making great products, but I disagree that they're making 'reference level' products.

Sony's smartphone can be considered 'one of the best' when people realize Sony is making a smartphone. The 'Xperia' is nowhere near commonplace and is NOT a household name.

Since when did the ignorance of the masses determine if a product is good or bad? Based on specs and performance the xperia is one of if not the best android smart phone currently. These are just facts.
I have never seen an advertisement for a Sony phone.

Interesting. Mind you aside from their cameras I'm not much of a Sony fan but... They're simply making top tier products in their respective categories. They have one of the best android smart phones and their TV's are considered to be reference level.
I think they're making great products, but I disagree that they're making 'reference level' products.

Sony's smartphone can be considered 'one of the best' when people realize Sony is making a smartphone. The 'Xperia' is nowhere near commonplace and is NOT a household name.

Since when did the ignorance of the masses determine if a product is good or bad? Based on specs and performance the xperia is one of if not the best android smart phone currently. These are just facts.

They are huge in Europe

North Korea too.

Joe

They are huge in Europe
Wonder why they don't advertise in the US?

I think Sony's main problem with TVs is that they look very utilitarian. Samsung TVs tend to look more dynamic. But there is a problem. I've had three 56 inch panels go faulty with Samsung TVs. So while they might look great, the quality isn't quite there. At least, not yet.

I think that apple started Sony's woes as they took Sony's place in the premium laptop market, and I have to put up my hand as one of the converted. I had a huge 21 inch Sony Vaio laptop that was the dog's wotsits. But working in an industry that uses mainly apple products I got seduced.

As far as phones are concerned, the same thing happened there. I remember having the Sony Ericsson K800i with a proper Xenon flash. Ok only 3.2 megapixels but it had a decent lens and the flash was at least useable. The iPhone when it came out was absolutely rubbish. I resisted til the 3GS. The first generation you couldn't even send photo messages.

I have the 6plus and the Xperia Z2. Overall, I would say the Sony is a much better phone, but the iPhone is better to use. This has always been the case. Samsung phones are generally better than iPhones too. Heck, even Nokia. I shake my head when I see people using their flash on their iPhones. It's still pretty much unusable.

The thing I like doing when I have my 645Z with me is to point my camera at something uninteresting. Before long, an iPhone owner will see me (they can't miss it really!) and copy the shot I'm 'taking'. It's slightly evil and a little bit snobbish I suppose, but some people assume that you must have a great shot since you have such a big camera, so they have to get it too. And this is the problem with specs. Real world is always a compromise between specs and usability. Sony need to make that step up.

Mind you, I hope they do, as I have just bought the A7R as there are times when I want to walk up a mountain without a big camera. Not all that many times, and I'll always wonder what the shot would have been like with the Pentax, but on a long distance walk, something's gotta give, and I don't want it to be my back!

Most reactions

Back