Can anything save Sony?

Sounds like they are in the process of cutting some of the fat from their walkman/discman era. Odds are they will cut down a few other areas and focus on their core product lines.

Granted the two things they mentioned in the article seem like turds, but the Japanese market is very different than here.

"Sony doesn't seem to be making new products like they used to," Ueno says. "It seems like they haven't done much in the last 10 years."
Pretty much sums up Sony.

I loved their Walkmans; even had one of their cell phones about 10 years ago.

I remember a time when anything Sony was considered good. Now, I consider it subpar, if I even remember the brand when browsing.

Most other makers have sold off their computer line by now too.
I had Sony's first walkman headset radio. I still have it around somewhere and it still worked last time I tried it, many many years ago.
I also still have and use a Sony 13inch stereo TV from 1989ish.
They used to make stuff that lasts and was cutting edge. Their Vaio line of laptops was top notch but they still have to compete in the open market.
Nowadays I don't really know what they make.

interesting.
At one Tokyo campus, a deputy manager demonstrated a credit-card sized electronic device that is designed to replace a wallet full of cash cards used by millions of Japanese consumers. The device connects to a smartphone, and allows users to easily buy train tickets or snacks at the convenience store.
This will be dead upon arrival if they do this. Apple already has their Pay system and the CC vendors have their auto pay system, both *not* requiring a small sized attachment, much less creating the vendor contracts,banks etc to support it.

"Sony doesn't seem to be making new products like they used to," Ueno says. "It seems like they haven't done much in the last 10 years."

I remember a time when anything Sony was considered good. Now, I consider it subpar, if I even remember the brand when browsing.

You consider it subpar because of preference or because you just don't realize what's actual?

You consider it subpar because of preference or because you just don't realize what's actual?
Not sure I completely understand the latter part of your question, but I consider it sub par through a combination of actual use and, to a certain extent, preference.

Let me state, my opinions are not based on their camera systems. Most of their other technology. (Although, I NEVER liked their low-end P&S cameras.)

For example, I find their TVs to be sub par to other brands. Currently, my house has three major brands of televisions, and I dislike the Sony the most (all are LCD). Conversely, when we had CRTs, I liked the Sony the best. My father-in-law bought a brand new Sony (because Sony was the 'best') and my brother-in-law bought a brand new Samsung at the same time. They were absolutely comparable televisions; all features pretty much the same.

The Sony looked horrible next to the Samsung. It looked horrible. My FIL exchanged the Sony for a Samsung the next day.

I may have been a little harsh.. I do still recognize Sony as a 'good' brand, but I no longer think of them as the best, as I once did.

True, Sony isn't their former self but I don't think they're going anywhere soon. Their television, computer and mobile devices divisions are struggling right now but some of the big players are too. IBM dumped their PC division a few years ago and HP almost did too. Even Acer is struggling with stagnant and falling sales. Samsung just announced a huge loss with their mobile devices even though they're the market leader in cell phones.

Markets changes and Sony is just responding to it.

Not sure I completely understand the latter part of your question, but I consider it sub par through a combination of actual use and, to a certain extent, preference.

Let me state, my opinions are not based on their camera systems. Most of their other technology. (Although, I NEVER liked their low-end P&S cameras.)

For example, I find their TVs to be sub par to other brands. Currently, my house has three major brands of televisions, and I dislike the Sony the most (all are LCD). Conversely, when we had CRTs, I liked the Sony the best. My father-in-law bought a brand new Sony (because Sony was the 'best') and my brother-in-law bought a brand new Samsung at the same time. They were absolutely comparable televisions; all features pretty much the same.

The Sony looked horrible next to the Samsung. It looked horrible. My FIL exchanged the Sony for a Samsung the next day.

I may have been a little harsh.. I do still recognize Sony as a 'good' brand, but I no longer think of them as the best, as I once did.
Interesting. Mind you aside from their cameras I'm not much of a Sony fan but... They're simply making top tier products in their respective categories. They have one of the best android smart phones and their TV's are considered to be reference level. Coming back around to cameras you have the a77ii which blows away other APSC bodies in almost every way. It get's beat out in low light by the D7100. Then you have the a7 line which speaks for itself.

Financially they might be struggling but that isn't a representation of what they're putting out there.

Interesting. Mind you aside from their cameras I'm not much of a Sony fan but... They're simply making top tier products in their respective categories. They have one of the best android smart phones and their TV's are considered to be reference level.
I think they're making great products, but I disagree that they're making 'reference level' products.

Sony's smartphone can be considered 'one of the best' when people realize Sony is making a smartphone. The 'Xperia' is nowhere near commonplace and is NOT a household name.

Interesting. Mind you aside from their cameras I'm not much of a Sony fan but... They're simply making top tier products in their respective categories. They have one of the best android smart phones and their TV's are considered to be reference level.
I think they're making great products, but I disagree that they're making 'reference level' products.

Sony's smartphone can be considered 'one of the best' when people realize Sony is making a smartphone. The 'Xperia' is nowhere near commonplace and is NOT a household name.

Since when did the ignorance of the masses determine if a product is good or bad? Based on specs and performance the xperia is one of if not the best android smart phone currently. These are just facts.

Since when did the ignorance of the masses determine if a product is good or bad? Based on specs and performance the xperia is one of if not the best android smart phone currently. These are just facts.
Facts? By all means, please post your studies/findings. I would love to read them. (I'm not being sarcastic.)

Specs and performance alone do not determine how good a product is compared to others. If you can't sell it based on specs and performance alone, something else is a limiting factor.

Let's compare to cars, since I don't have time to think of other examples. Namely, a station wagon. It is practical, pretty good on gas mileage, and can get you from A to Z hauling all your family and goods. Sounds like a dream! However, they've been dying out (at least in the US). The ones that are still around are becoming crossovers. They're awesome and very practical, but if you can't get people to buy them, they're not the 'best'.

Facts? By all means, please post your studies/findings. I would love to read them. (I'm not being sarcastic.)

Specs and performance alone do not determine how good a product is compared to others. If you can't sell it based on specs and performance alone, something else is a limiting factor.

Let's compare to cars, since I don't have time to think of other examples. Namely, a station wagon. It is practical, pretty good on gas mileage, and can get you from A to Z hauling all your family and goods. Sounds like a dream! However, they've been dying out (at least in the US). The ones that are still around are becoming crossovers. They're awesome and very practical, but if you can't get people to buy them, they're not the 'best'.

Quick google search - Sony Xperia Z3 vs HTC One M8 comparison review: Two of the best smartphones of 2014 - but which is best? - PC Advisor

The limiting factor is sheep mentality, blatant ignorance. Not trying to sound harsh but the masses make purchase decisions based on trends and emotions, not numbers and facts.

Again, I disagree that sales numbers = best or better. I don't even understand the logic.

Quick google search - Sony Xperia Z3 vs HTC One M8 comparison review: Two of the best smartphones of 2014 - but which is best? - PC Advisor

The limiting factor is sheep mentality, blatant ignorance. Not trying to sound harsh but the masses make purchase decisions based on trends and emotions, not numbers and facts.

Again, I disagree that sales numbers = best or better. I don't even understand the logic.
A single article comparing two phones doesn't constitute best, it would be, which one is 'better' out of these two, since there are only two phones being compared. Grammar aside, let me quote the article for you:

Ultimately your choice will be a subjective one on design and build, with the added spice that the Xperia Z3 probably marginally shades the objective comparison - but you can get the HTC One M8 a little cheaper.

Again, specs and performance ALONE do not constitute best of the bunch. It's subjective to each individual person. There are other factors in determining which is best. If there weren't, we'd all be driving one of the following: Ferrari, Rolls-Royce, Aston Martin, et cetera. The reason we aren't driving these on a daily basis is because we can't afford them. But.. but... they are the 'best', aren't they? Yes, in performance. But they fail on so many other levels. (Frankly, I would HATE driving a Ferrari in some of the snow we get in our area, and I would probably be forced to walk than drive that car in a foot of snow.)

This sheep does not wish to baaaaaaah... uhh.. blindly follow companies.. There are a few companies that I do like, and they will get repeat baaaaaah... sorry, business. But, I open my eyes and read reviews before baaaaaaaaah... uh, buying their products.

Most reactions

Back