Can I change the background color of my object easily while the photo looks real?

photo_abc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, if I take photos of my object in a light box with a white, black or color background, can I later change the background color of the object in my photo easily while having the photo looks real?

Well that depends entirely on your photoshop skill level and how you light the background in the original.

Short answer is that it is quite easy. Bit longer answer is that it depends on the subject. Objects with defined edges make it easier, subjects with ill defined edges (such as a model with hair) make it much harder.

I am in the middle of a series of flower shots where I am photographing against a black background. In Gimp (I prefer Gimp) I select the colour black and then use the fill tool to replace the black with the colour of my choice. This works very well.

www.johns-old-cameras.blogspot.co.uk

I am not very skillful in photoshop. In this case, to make the photos realistic, is it better to shoot the photos and possibly videos with the intended background color?

The key words are "if you can"! It's always better to get the shot the way you want it to end up but it's also important to know what you can do in post, and what you can't.

I am not very skillful in photoshop. In this case, to make the photos realistic, is it better to shoot the photos and possibly videos with the intended background color?
There is not much skill needed here. I would normally use the Magic Wand tool to select the background (possibly adding a bit of feather), then do the change.
You you, of course, paste in a completely new background: e.g. a more interesting sky into a landscape.
GHK

You can change it.

If it looks realistic enough, well ... that depends upon your quality demands.

For example, Ming Thein mentioned he specifically refuses to do any such thing, because it would violate his quality demands to his photographs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back