Can I damage my SLR's flash by covering it?

BTilson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Or otherwise obscuring it?

I was experimenting with deflecting the flash with a piece of white card stock about the size of a business card. I had it about 40-45 degrees away from the flash, so the light would bounce up. However, when doing this, it seemed to make the flash a bit warm to the touch. Is this ok, or can I damage my flash like this? I only did it a couple of times and stopped when I noticed the heat.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

I have not had any problems myself and I used to use toiletpaper held over the flash for shooting to no ill effect - I think the greatest risk I have heard of is setting the stuff over the flash on fire as opposed to damaging the flash head itself.

I've been using a piece of card stock with some aluminum foil taped on one end. No problems so far and I can't say I've noticed it's hot.

Flashes can get hot...and heat can cause damage...so just keep an eye (finger) on it, to check how hot it does get. I'd guess that by the time it does any damage, it would be really hot to the touch...so warm is probably OK.

Flashes can get hot...and heat can cause damage...so just keep an eye (finger) on it, to check how hot it does get. I'd guess that by the time it does any damage, it would be really hot to the touch...so warm is probably OK.

It's amazing how hot they get... I took some batteries out of a SB600 I was using to shoot a hotel. I wasn't going crazy with it, but taking a shot every 30 seconds or so in short bursts of 4-5 shots. I took the batteries out and they were literally hot to the touch.

Craaaazy.

So basically, unless the thing is about to melt down, I am fine? I just got my very first dSLR a few days ago, and the last thing I wanna do is break part of it due to my own ignorance and lack of experience!

^^^ :lol: yeah, to the best of my knowledge.

You should read the manual, though, it will tell you how frequently you should give the thing a rest between firings. That's your biggest risk of meltdown, right there.

Most reactions

Back