"Can I have a copy of that wonderful photo?"

I think it happens to virtually everyone in virtually every field.

The doctor is always being asked, "Hey, I have this rash. What do you think it is?"

The Realtor is always being asked, "So what do you think my house is worth?"

The CPA is always being asked, "Is this tax deductible?"

I think we are all guilty of asking for some free advice, or in your case, art.

I am strictly into photography for the images... I don't sell my work, ever... If somebody wants a print, I will be glad to "give" it to them for the cost of the print (if it's a bigger one).

Having said that, I don't do this for money and everybody knows it. If I were a professional, I would charge money... absolutely.

I am a system administrator (IT) person, and people are always asking me for help with their computers... antispyware, antivirus, un-mucking up hard drives... and unless they are an employee of the company I work for and it is work related, I simply tell them no. Even if they offer to pay, the answer is no (I have a life outside of work...) A lot of folks think this is harsh, but this is what I DO for a living... and I am not in the business of giving away my livelihood... if I were to "stop by after work" to help out everybody who asked, I would be busy 7 days a week... and money is just not that important.

It's the same thing with photography. If making money off of pictures is how you earn a significant part of your living, then the pictures are for "sale" and not for "free". IMHO.

I just had this situation: Someone contacted me through my website and asked if I sell my photos and I said I hadn't thought of it, but sure, why not?

I ended up charging her $45 for two 5x7, a 14x11, and shipping. My cost was $1.99 per 5x7 (charged $5) and $12.99 for the 14x11 (charged $25) and $7.50 for shipping (charged $10). I charged what I did because I also did a lot of editing on the 11x14 for her, I drove around a lot, and it was a general pain.

So I think it all depends on the situation. I think everyone on this thread has raised good points, but in the end, you need to do what you are comfortable with. If you're comfortable with handing out photographs to coworkers, then do it. If you're not, and you feel as if you need to charge, then go ahead and charge, explaining why (your own costs, both time and material, etc.).

Start with the minimum and figure out if that's okay with you: Just giving away the photo. If not, then move up a notch and figure out if that's okay: Give them the photo if they provide the medium, like the blank CD. If that's not okay with you, then go up again: Would it be okay to give them a print if they pay cost, or give them the electronic version if you watermark it? Etc. In the end, you really do just need to do what you yourself are comfortable with.

I faced a situation like this one this morning, except the other person was willing to pay for my photos but i wasnt willing to charge for them.

Basically i went along to see the musical at my old school on the weekend and took one of the cameras with me. The shots i got can be seen here

I sent that link to the director, who was also my drama teacher for 4 years and she is pretty much like a mother to me now. She sent me one back saying that she loved them and was willing to buy some of them. At first i thought it was great, but then i thought about it a little more. This was the first time i had tried that sort of photography and i know i can do better next time, so i felt bad about charging her for what i felt wasnt my best.

So im sending her a cd with the images on that i will add a small water mark to and put my business card with it.

Besides, even without her or anyone else from the school seeing the photos, i already have secured a promo shoot for another play they are doing later in the year.

So Iron...

If you were reading a book and someone asked to run it through the xerox machine?

If you cooked up a great lunch and someone asked if they can have it?

(Just pickin on yah Iron.. we've been here a while that I know you won't take offense.. :) )

On second thought.. perhaps you are all right... I should just take it at face value and appreciate that my photography attracts attention. I just need to hit the bar for a nice tall glass of guinness more often.
My original response got dumped during "Lights Out", so I will try to remember what the heck I wrote then...

...but you are always welcome to pick on me :)

Basically, it really is very easy these days. Let's face it - usually making a print for us hobbyists is as easy as putting a sheet in the printer, and clicking a few icons on a screen.

Also, most people don't think about how things work, where they come from, or what it took make something. I can think of a thousand examples... is the beef grass-fed? Is that sneaker from a child labor factory? Does down-loading that file cost jobs?

...it's the same with photography. Most people don't think about whether your image is just you pointing a camera and hitting click, or whether it is a question of years of experience, specific choices, and a the cost of expensive gear. They don't care, and they wouldn't know where to begin if they did.

If someone asks you for a print, it is usually meant as a compliment, at least partially. They are acknowledging that you created a great image, and want a small part of you.

:thumbup:

Steve

I am strictly into photography for the images... I don't sell my work, ever... If somebody wants a print, I will be glad to "give" it to them for the cost of the print (if it's a bigger one).

Having said that, I don't do this for money and everybody knows it. If I were a professional, I would charge money... absolutely.

I am a system administrator (IT) person, and people are always asking me for help with their computers... antispyware, antivirus, un-mucking up hard drives... and unless they are an employee of the company I work for and it is work related, I simply tell them no. Even if they offer to pay, the answer is no (I have a life outside of work...) A lot of folks think this is harsh, but this is what I DO for a living... and I am not in the business of giving away my livelihood... if I were to "stop by after work" to help out everybody who asked, I would be busy 7 days a week... and money is just not that important.

It's the same thing with photography. If making money off of pictures is how you earn a significant part of your living, then the pictures are for "sale" and not for "free". IMHO.

A very similar thing happens to me because I am a Computer Engineering major everyone that I know says "Oh you are good with computers can you fix mine?" Unless they are a really good friend or one of my roommates I always say no, I just don't have the time and try and put it nicely. But there are certain circumstances when I will help someone out or lend some quick advice over phone if they need it. So its all what you feel comfortable doing when it comes right down to it. I've thought many times about charging people to fix there computers as a side job but I just don't have the time for that.

I've experienced this problem in it's worst form. I work at a photography studio, where everyone is well aware of how cheap the prints are. In fact, I do them favors constantly, like retouching their family snapshots, and sending them to the lab where they get huge picture packages for pennies.

My boss expressed an interest in one of my panoramic shots. I had 4 versions of it printed very large, like 2 feet by 5 feet. The lab printed them for free for the boss, and I brought them in for him to see. Well, some other employees started expressing an interest in them, and I gave them a very generous price of $50 for one of these huge prints. No takers. In fact, sneers. One person had the audacity to tell me they couldn't afford $50, but they'd give me $10. I was so appalled at this apparent lack of class. People seem to have less and less appreciation for art since the digital age.

I used to be a pro (press) ... and I've never sold a print in my life (just think it odd ... not selling images but that I've never sold an image.) If someone wants an image they can have it ... email or CD ... because I really don't have the time to print unless they're a friend. I shoot a lot of high school events and all the images are free to download from my site or I just give them a CD.

Gary

i'm usually very glad when people extend themselves for my art and i enjoy spreading it

Just say: "I will be happy to order you a copy. Would you like to pay for it now or when it arrive. My print provider gets upset if he does not get paid."

Whether to be paid or not, is a personal choice not always related to whether the shooter is a professional or not.

Rusty Tripod

This thread came back to mind after this morning when two such situations occurred.

I was at an art fair and asked one of the artists if I could take a couple of pix of her stuff. She said it would be fine; I gave her my card. She sent me an email and asked for copies. I sent her 4x5 sized copies of five files (edited for WB and orientation) in a zipfile (she has dial-up). She couldn't open the zipfile and asked me to get them printed and send them to her.

A separate but similar incident - I had taken headshots for use by a local theater group pro bono. Of course, the person whose shots came out the worst sent an email and asked me for copies of his shots. I didn't wanted to distribute those shots and wanted to reshoot them; he said he was real busy and those would be fine.

OK, The originals had been converted in LR immediately into BW and I hadn't done any editing on the color versions as they weren't going to be used.
So I went back and edited his pix and I sent him files sized for 8x10.

He didn't like the color and now he decided that perhaps a reshoot would be good.

This has made me resolve to set a clear, bright line for any future pro bono work about what I'll actually do free.

Most reactions

Back