Can i take professional pictures with a 10 MP camera???

faruk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey i just bought an Olympus Evolt E-410 10 Megapixel Camera and i wanted to know is if anyone could tell me if this is a good camera, i mean the quality is amazing but i wanna know is it possible to take professional pictures with this camera? like those in the news magazines etc.. anyways thanks and i'm happy to be part of this community, bye.

In my opinion you made a mistake buying an Olympus for profesional use. The one prolem you are going to run into is if you get into a paper and they have glass available I can guarantee you they will not have Olympus. I know alot of people will be offended with my statement but it is my opinion. I am sure that you can take perfectly serviceable pictures with that camera.

Number of megapixels has little to do with the quality of a photo. 10 is fine. Even 6 is fine. Taking professional looking photos requires an eye for the shots in the first place, and a kick butt lens after that. All the camera body does is record it.

My D1h was the camera of professionals for many years(its 2.7 mp)

The question is can YOU take professional pictures.

The standards were much lower 8 years ago though.

The oly e-410 is meant to be a lower class compact DSLR. It can still make great images if the photographer & the lens is good, but this particular camera will have a harder time producing great images compared to a professional body.

The oly e-410 is meant to be a lower class compact DSLR. It can still make great images if the photographer & the lens is good, but this particular camera will have a harder time producing great images compared to a professional body.
how so? Even the lowest of the low DSLRs today are far more advanced than Jimmy's D1H PRO camera of just a few short years ago?

A camera has little to do with taking "professional" photos. You need to understand light, aperature, shutter speed, iso, etc before you can start taking quality photos. If you got your hands on a hassleblad it does not mean your photos are goingt o be good it just means they should be a high quality image not a well composed and thoughout image.

how so? Even the lowest of the low DSLRs today are far more advanced than Jimmy's D1H PRO camera of just a few short years ago?

A modern pro DSLR is what I was talking about. Is 10 years a few short years in your eyes? That's like 2/3rds of my life ago.

I thought all it took to be a professional photog was to get paid for taking pictures, shooting whatever camera you had. Oh, we are talking quality pictures... then the short answer is yes.

Actually you can still get by with the D1H. Newsprint/magazines dont print that large of pictures as, it stands. It is the skill of the shooter that makes them professional, reguardless of the camera and, glass.
So to the OP yes you probably can take professional looking pictures with the camera. But the question is do you have the skills is the point.

OMG I remember using that camera during my photography tech school. But yes with today standards and expectation it wouldnt be a good camera for a working professional. Though for online and newspaper type photography it would work fine. But for large prints thats a whole different story.

A modern pro DSLR is what I was talking about. Is 10 years a few short years in your eyes? That's like 2/3rds of my life ago.
It's only 7 years old. Am I showing my age? :p :grumpy:

Do you want to take pictures professionally? Or just want professional looking pictures? Pro bodies offer other features that the class the 410 is in doesn't. Such as burst rate, processing speed etc. Features that would help a pro photographer capture that perfect image. If it is just high quality shots you are after, then you should be able to get some pretty decent shots with the 410. Olympus do have some amazing glass too. I used to shoot with an E-500 and have some 11x14 prints framed in my house I took with that camera with the kit lenses even, and people who have come into my house have asked me if I bought the prints shot by a pro photographer.

Actually you can still get by with the D1H. Newsprint/magazines dont print that large of pictures as, it stands. It is the skill of the shooter that makes them professional, reguardless of the camera and, glass.
So to the OP yes you probably can take professional looking pictures with the camera. But the question is do you have the skills is the point.

Well of course. I mean megapixels are megapixels. The less you have the worse it looks big/cropped. I wouldnt print anything bigger than a 4x6 and expect a great print with my D1h. But in many ways it IS better than my d40x (and entry level dslr im guessing that is similar to e-410) 95 percent of my shots never leave the monitor so the MP thing isnt a big deal. Infact i love the small file sizes, so much quicker to move around. I also love the 1/500th sync speed, the weather sealed body, the quicker FPS and the second shutter button. I also like that it will AF with all nikon AF lenses. And my favorite thing is that it cost me less than half of my d40x.

Am i saying since its a pro camera that it will take anymore PRO shots than an entry level camera? No way! You guys are spot on with saying that todays entry level dslr's are more advanced from trickle down technology. For example, my d40x handles noise twice as D1h. My D40x also is way more refined so its way easier to do thinks like sort through menus and change settings.

I guess what im saying is dont worry about your MP/camera to much. Although i think it is BS that people say its not about the camera, i think at this point you need to be thinking about your skills and experience and how they ultimately control the outcome.

I guess what im saying is dont worry about your MP/camera to much. Although i think it is BS that people say its not about the camera, i think at this point you need to be thinking about your skills and experience and how they ultimately control the outcome.
That's why they say it's not about the camera. :) Skills, experience, and inspiration count so much more, and good photographers learn to work around whatever limitations their cameras have.

Most reactions

Back