Can I use a Reflector instead of a 2nd Strobe?

Tigertail

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm planning a short shoot for a friend. We're not really looking to spend too much on rentals but I'd still like it all to turn out well. I was planning on using a Mola 22" Beauty Dish as the Key but I'm wondering if it would be possible to use a reflector or 2 on a stand as fill rather than a second strobe.

Would that work in a studio environment with flash or is it better to just get a second strobe?

It depends totally on the look you want. You can do some great things with a single light and a reflector or two. I've never used just my beauty dish and a reflector; I tend to use it mainily oni its own, but there's no reason it won't work. Having a second strobe will however give you a LOT more room for creativity.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I'll probably just end getting a second strobe.

I forget what seminar I was watching but the photographer used 1 beauty dish above the camera, angled down at the subject with a reflector under her chin for fill. It worked well for head shots. I asume you could do something similar with the one beauty dish and a couple of reflectors for any kind of pose.

Most reactions

Back