Can someone decipher this camera lingo for me?

Eventer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleclarke.co.nz
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My boss (Photography job which I take photos at equestrian events then send them on a CD to him and he puts them on the website for selling etc in a nutshell) he contacted me and told me to "don't reset you camera numbers!"
I dont even know what this means... so i asked and he replied...

"Don’t reset the numbering on your camera between events. Let the numbers keep rolling over otherwise we end up with big trouble when searching photos. It may be that you have your camera set to reset each time you clear the card.
Hope that makes sense."

But im still confused, can someone help? lol

well it's simple, your camera is set to continue to write the file name so lets say

BBB_001 BBB 002_BBB_003 and so on and it keeps going until you reset it. Or at least that's how mine is set up. I just let it go forever....
So after you're done shooting you can change it back to BBB_001

But it doesn't matter because when you import the file you set your own names anyway so I don't see what the problem is...
Unless you drag and drop the image from your disk to your hard drive?

look in the manual, sorry i don't know sony too much but it'll be under menu or settings robably around the same place as "format disk"

What he means is that your images may be recording the file names fresh on each shoot, which means that instead of having 9999 unique default serials (in the case of Canon, you will need to check for your sony), it may be resetting on each shoot, so he will end up with multiple files with the same number over time.

ie: on my 500D I can choose File Numbering- Continous (0001-9999) or Auto Reset (I guess it resets each time I put a new card in) or Manual reset (start from 0001 again).

When I import I can also have it add unique alpha numeric combos and date if I need too as well.

You may need to read your manual on how your Sony handles this to avoid complications later on.

So the issue for him will be that say a client asks for a print of image DSC_0021, he may see multiple instances of that file, shot on different dates, nightmare.

I have had the same thing happen when I am looking for a particular file by serial (months after), because I have rolled over the 10k mark so many times, I now need to narrow it down sometimes by date.

Take a look here.

From the A200 Manual Online:

Attachments

• $Screen shot 2010-11-04 at 12.21.02 AM.jpg
    $Screen shot 2010-11-04 at 12.21.02 AM.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 146
Thanks RobNZ I get it now, Yep it resets to 001 on each new shoot. Ill have a play around n the camera/Read the manual and finger crossed ill get it sorted!
thanks heaps!
PS been browsing on your website - AMAZING stuff! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back