Can someone give me some insight into buying a Nikon D40x in mint condition?

bee_optimistic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a newbie to the world of digital SLR cameras but am eager to learn even with my limited budget to get started. I have an opportunity to purchase a Nikon D40X SLR camera that is in mint condition. Unfortunately I have little knowledge or insight into what is a good deal, what I need to look for before purchasing etc.

This is what the camera includes:
-Nikon D40x 10.2 megapixel camera
-18-135 av/af lens
-sun share
-uv filter
-extra battery
-all books, manuals, and disks
-camera bag and camera strap
-tripod
-memory card

I could have all of this for $350.00. Do you think that this is a good deal? I am unsure what I need to be looking at and what questions I should be asking the seller. Could somebody help me out?

Thanks in advance!

Depending on where you are, that might be a little high; I would aim closer to $300 - 325 if you're in a major centre where there's a greater supply. Here's what I do with used equipment: I ask the seller how long he's had it, what sort of use it's had (something that's been used professionally has greater wear and is thus worth less than something used occasionally by " a little old lady only on Sunday"), if he/she has reciepts, and what the serial # is. I will call the local RCMP and ensure that the it doesn't come up as a stolen item.

Before you go to meet the seller, read through the manual (available on-line) and know enough to turn on the camera, take a photograph, and change the major settings so that you can test it. Before you meet the seller ask him to ensure that the battery is fully charged, and if one isn't supplied, bring an appropriate memory card.

Looke the camera over VERY carefully, paying particular attention to corners and edges looking for signs it's been dropped or banged. Look at how clean or dirty it is; a dirty camera is an indication it wasn't well cared for.

Good luck!

^^^^ that, and you can also employ ebay and craigslist searches to get an idea of fair value in the used market.

I agree with the comments above but I'm not so sure this is a bad deal if the camera and lens are in good shape. What kind of tripod comes with this deal? How big is the memory card (1G, 2G, 4G, 8G, etc.)?

That lens sells used for about $225 at Adorama, give or take $50. The camera body is old, but it's probably worth $75 to $100. Extra batteries, SD card, books/manuals, etc. is "fluff" IMHO because they should be included or can be bought new for not very much.

I think it comes down to the quality of the body and lens, and if it's a good tripod (does the tripod include just the legs or the legs and head?), then maybe not a bad deal.

Look around for sure.

He just checked the shutter count and it is only 1300. To my knowledge this is really good... can someone confrim this? If so, does this make $350 a good deal still?
Thanks so much for all your help everyone!!

1300 is not bad. My questions are posted above. It's hard to say without more information. Maybe not a bad deal. You can always make an offer below asking price and then haggle.

$350 CANADIAN dollars for that sounds reasonable to me. Especially with the 18-135 lens, an extra battery,and a tripod of any size. I am not all that up on prices in British Columbia, but it 'seems' reasonable to me. I'd call some pawn shops in Victoria or Vancouver and see what THEY have for sale. 1,300 actuations? That is nothing!!! That's like a car with 1,300 miles on the odometer...pretty much "new".

Most reactions

Back