can this be good?

I have never made one but it did cross my mind. One other thing I have seen is an adapter ring that screws into your body like a lens but only has treads on it. So you screw your lens into it so the lens is backwards making a low budget macro by reversing your lens. I'm tempted to try the ring since its only 10$.

Here is an Ebay link to one.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=320219300207&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I bought a $10 macro revers ring, which allows me to mount one lens backward onto another lens.
Can you guess what this is?
Macro-01.jpg

You could (and should consider) getting the reverse ring...but building your own stuff is fun. at worst you mess up a body cover. I might try this myself.

Please help me understand this whole reverse ring thing? How exactly does it work? And can anyone post a pic of what the set up looks like?

Thanks

I don't have a picture, but the one I seen is just a metal ring with 2 sides. 1 side is the mount (ex. Canon EF), side 2 is threads. You screw the threaded end onto where a filter would screw onto your lens, then connect it to the camera like a normal lens (but backwards). Of course there is no AF but its a cheap solution.

Note: I don't own one, but I want to buy one. So if I'm wrong anywhere in here I'm sorry.

never knew this reverse thing existed, nice haha

im not gonna try it but you guys reckon a "macro-pringles lens" is safe? haha

Ok, I am all for DIY, and do some myself... but come on... the "Pringles Mod" is kinda stepping over the line... lol

For someone that has the hard parts and want to do it themselves, fine... but I am not that hard up for cash that I cannot afford my own macro lens or 2.

i think its not about having or not having the cash, its more about loving your own camera, in the tutorial it doesn't mention once that you should make sure the inside of the pringles tube is clean, i know it might sound silly but more than one person trying that out will not clean it and have crumbs inside their camera..

The reverse-ring thing for macro photography is totally ingenious, but just keep in mind that the filter thread is calculated to bear the weight of filters and possibly a close-up lens or two. On cheaper lenses it is often made out of plastic, which is not able to bear too much weight.

Reversing the entire lens puts the whole weight of your lens on the filter threads alone, which can't be good for it. Don't do that with a heavy lens and always try to support the lens when mounted in reverse!

Don't get me wrong, the reverse ring idea is beatiful in its simplicity and whoever came up with it has my respect and admiration, but someone has to issue a warning here and I guess that would be me.

The reverse-ring thing for macro photography is totally ingenious, but just keep in mind that the filter thread is calculated to bear the weight of filters and possibly a close-up lens or two. On cheaper lenses it is often made out of plastic, which is not able to bear too much weight.

Reversing the entire lens puts the whole weight of your lens on the filter threads alone, which can't be good for it. Don't do that with a heavy lens and always try to support the lens when mounted in reverse!

Don't get me wrong, the reverse ring idea is beatiful in its simplicity and whoever came up with it has my respect and admiration, but someone has to issue a warning here and I guess that would be me.

I was thinking the same thing, the largest lens I would personally put onto a reverse ring is my 50mm f/1.8. To me I would think even a 18-55mm Kit Lens would be to heavy, let alone a longer lens. I bought one of these rings, since they are so cheap even if it doesn't work well I won't be out much. I ordered it on ebay today actually but since it's coming from the states I figure it will be a 2 or more weeks till I get it.

Most reactions

Back