Can we talk Vendor Insurance?

What you are looking for is what's called a "Certificate of Insurance or COI" for the location. If you have insurance all it takes is a call or email to your provider and you will have it.
While you may not be required by the HOA to have one it is very prudent to make sure you are covered. Light stands fall, cords get tripped over, and just you telling someone to move a certain way may cause them to fall...... all this can lead to a suit, doesn't mean they will win, but without insurance it's coming out of your pocket to defend yourself and your actions. And what about your equipment if little Fifi gets excited and trips you when the leash wraps around your ankles causing your camera to crash to the floor..... is that covered?

Use the earch tool at the top of this page and enter "insurance" into the search field, there are tons of posts on the forum relating to it and where to get it.

I use TCPickard & Co. www.groupinsure.com they will give you a quick online quote for rates.

As an attorney, I understand the liability involved with this. For HOA purposes, they will let me do the event without naming the HOA as a certificate holder, but only if they pay me nothing. They are telling me those are the rules in the State of Maryland. I am going by what they tell me and the rules they are following and refuse to change.

I personally have a large umbrella policy that covers my personal liability, so I feel confident I am okay.

They are telling me those are the rules in the State of Maryland. I am going by what they tell me and the rules they are following and refuse to change.

As an attorney you ought to know not to trust what someone else tells you. :wink: Heck, we should all be asking you for advice since you like to work for free. :wink:

They are telling me those are the rules in the State of Maryland. I am going by what they tell me and the rules they are following and refuse to change.

As an attorney you ought to know not to trust what someone else tells you. :wink: Heck, we should all be asking you for advice since you like to work for free. :wink:

What I mean is that if I can avoid having to buy insurance if I shoot the event for free, I don't care what the laws are in the State of Maryland. I don't work for free as an attorney, unless I'm doing pro bono work, but when it comes to shooting photographs and I can get some exposure :)mrgreen:) for a few hours work, then why not?

What I mean is that if I can avoid having to buy insurance if I shoot the event for free, I don't care what the laws are in the State of Maryland. I don't work for free as an attorney, unless I'm doing pro bono work, but when it comes to shooting photographs and I can get some exposure :)mrgreen:) for a few hours work, then why not?

Can we revisit the Tommie rant? I REALLY could use some legal advice, pro bono! LOL!

Most reactions

Back