Can you believe...

voodoocat said:
Shark said:
voodoocat said:
Well I wasn't taking notes.... but that is the wonderful thing about digital ;) It saves it all for me :LOL:

I didn't want to focus on anything but this baby. So I schlepped the 50mm 1.8 lens on. I mostly shot f1.8 between 1/40 - 1/100 depending on the lighting. The light on the baby table where they clean him up and stuff is actually daylight balanced :lol: so the white balance was easy. And pretty bright too... 1/100. Sometimes I cranked the ISO to 800 depending on the lighting. Like in the room they're in now. B&W was done using the gradient map in photoshop.

I wonder if I could get roughly the same effect with my 18-55 lens and about a +1 or +2 closeup filter on. I love that short DOF, but don't have the fixed aperture...

Also wondering if my flash with a softbox attached would be too much of a distraction/too stressful on the new tyke.

Were these shot with your d70? If so, that ISO 800 is VERY clean. I'm impressed!
I couldn't have done it handheld without the 1.8 lens. I highly recommend you get that lens. Can't beat $100 for such a nice piece of glass. The 2 shots I've shown in this thread are ISO200.
http://www.redrockexposure.com/noah/noahmr02.jpg this one is ISO 800.

Hmm really! That's not a bad price for a nice 1.8 lens. What brand, etc.?

Shark said:
voodoocat said:
Shark said:
voodoocat said:
Well I wasn't taking notes.... but that is the wonderful thing about digital ;) It saves it all for me :LOL:

I didn't want to focus on anything but this baby. So I schlepped the 50mm 1.8 lens on. I mostly shot f1.8 between 1/40 - 1/100 depending on the lighting. The light on the baby table where they clean him up and stuff is actually daylight balanced :lol: so the white balance was easy. And pretty bright too... 1/100. Sometimes I cranked the ISO to 800 depending on the lighting. Like in the room they're in now. B&W was done using the gradient map in photoshop.

I wonder if I could get roughly the same effect with my 18-55 lens and about a +1 or +2 closeup filter on. I love that short DOF, but don't have the fixed aperture...

Also wondering if my flash with a softbox attached would be too much of a distraction/too stressful on the new tyke.

Were these shot with your d70? If so, that ISO 800 is VERY clean. I'm impressed!
I couldn't have done it handheld without the 1.8 lens. I highly recommend you get that lens. Can't beat $100 for such a nice piece of glass. The 2 shots I've shown in this thread are ISO200.
http://www.redrockexposure.com/noah/noahmr02.jpg this one is ISO 800.

Hmm really! That's not a bad price for a nice 1.8 lens. What brand, etc.?
Well you would get the Canon 50mm 1.8. I have the Nikkor.

Shark said:
Really? I figured I'd just bust out the electrical tape. ;) :p

(I just found it on b&h-- $69.95. That's not too bad! I've never had a fixed focal length lens.)
Dude, you don't know what you're missing. You are going to fall in love with that lens. Granted, I don't like it as much on the D70 as I would a 35mm. I really like the angle of view when not cropped by 1.5.

voodoocat said:
Shark said:
Really? I figured I'd just bust out the electrical tape. ;) :p

(I just found it on b&h-- $69.95. That's not too bad! I've never had a fixed focal length lens.)
Dude, you don't know what you're missing. You are going to fall in love with that lens. Granted, I don't like it as much on the D70 as I would a 35mm. I really like the angle of view when not cropped by 1.5.

Mmmm, I think I might have this little guy waiting at home for me! I was telling Kelly about it and she went to Roberts' Camera over her lunch today. :D :D :D :crosses fingers:

Woohoooo!!! I love my wife!!

And you're right, Chad, I already love this lens! I haven't taken more than a couple snapshots with it yet, but it's a sweet little glass for $80. I'll see if I can get a couple shots up tonight to show...

How's Noah doing?!

Shark said:
T'is weird not being able to zoom though. Really makes you compose the shot more thoughtfully.

It's about time you got the 50 1.8. No EOS owner should be without one.

I found it awkward at first, not being able to zoom...but after getting used to cropping with my feet, I use my 50 1.8 all the time. I have the older version with the metal mount & distance scale.

Congrats on the lens! I'm positive you'll love it :D

Noah's doing wonderful. I came home from work and he was sleeping. He opened his eyes for a few seconds after I called his name. Otherwise, he's either latched onto momma's boob or sleeping.

Mmmm boobie. I miss boobies. It's going to be a long time before I get near boobies that aren't my own. :cry:

Good to hear the tot is doing well! I talked to Kelly on the phone this morning and asked how Molly was doing and she said, "Oh she's been really quiet so far this--OW--She's awake now." :LOL:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back