Can you guys help us settle a little disagreement

Kbarredo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my friend and I are having a little disagreement on what techniques these 2 photographers used for these photos. I said it was a "dragan like" effect. He says it's HDR. What do you guys think?

jill greenberg photos - Google Search

Last edited by a moderator:
Photoshoppery.

I'd say it's more of a Dragan style because of the desaturated nature.

Neither it is down to the way he cross lights it and post processes it all of his shot are composite of 2 or more shots i read an article about the way he lights shots in a UK pro mag

^What gsgary said. For those who have KelbyTraining: Creative Compositing: Professional Techniques for Composite Photography | KelbyTraining.com That's a tutorial of how he works his lights in the studio for his real pro stuff, as well as how he works to get his backgrounds for the final composites.

Here's a Youtube vid that shows the same basic light setup he uses in the studio, but in the studio he uses much bigger modifiers. In the field youtube vid, he's using speedlights (5 of them) to achieve a very similar look:

He says in the Kelby training video that he does a LOT of post processing, including HDR and tonemapping, but that's mostly on his backgrounds. The subjects are mostly rendered just by his lighting setup.

Composites and HDRs with a ton of lighting.
3 lights, actually. Two gridded softboxes to rim the subject from slightly behind, left and right, and one medium octo just above the camera, all very close to the subject, just out of frame.

From what i read he used reflectors with grids from behind but most shots he lights in the same way, i will try a find the article

So my friend and I are having a little disagreement on what techniques these 2 photographers used for these photos. I said it was a "dragan like" effect. He says it's HDR. What do you guys think?

Its both. The Dragan effect is achieved by a mix of flash lighting and tonemapping in post. So its both.

Lol while trying to settle an argument it seems I have started one here. Thanks for the info though guys I have always wondered how to make photos like this. Now that i got my vagabond mini I will definitely try this

Its both. The Dragan effect is achieved by a mix of flash lighting and tonemapping in post. So its both.

No it's the Joel Grimes effect

Good call. It would be more similar to his style. But both are really similar in lots of ways.

Most reactions

Back