Can you please help me before I place my order?

*LoveMyLife09*

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a few questions before I place my order for my new camera gear.

First, this is what I plan on getting, is there anything I don't need, or I forgot? I will be shooting a little of everything, nature, people, sports, etc...

~Canon 30D with 18-55mm lens
~50mm 1.8
~75-300 mm lens
~neutral density filter
~Sunpack variable power flash, Guide number ISO 100-65 feet (is this one ok?)
~Circular polarizer (not sure which size to get)
~Adorama lens hoods (Do I have to buy a lens hood for each lens or is there one I can buy to use on all 3 lenses?
~Neutral density Wide Angle Slim mount glass filter from B&W (not sure which size to get)
~Adorama filter Slinger pouch (Do I need this or do they come in their own cases?)
~Adorama mini softbox diffuser for shoe mount flashes (Do I need this? I will be shooting alot indoors)
~Back pack to put everything in
~Memory cards
~I have a tripod
~lens cleaning kit (Do I need this?)

Thank you in advance! This will be my last "gear question" before I order! :D I promise!

Lens hoods are made for each lens. For example the hood for the 75-300 would be too long to use on the 50mm and 18-55mm (if you could mount it).
Same thing with filters. Each lens has its own filter ring size. Some lenses may have the same size. Need to check each lens. What you can do to save money is to buy a filter that fits your biggest lens (largest filter thread size). Then buy whats called a step-up ring. The step up ring will have 2 thread sizes. I to fit the smaller lens (filter ring size), and 1 to fit the filter you have. They are only like $15 so lot cheaper than buying filters (good ones anyway). Some filters come in a plastic case, some don't. My experience with filter pouches is the only thing they do is keep all the broken glass in 1 spot. They don't protect filter from banging around in the bag. I keep my filters in hard plastic cases (most of mine came with one, B+W and Hoya Pro Digitals).
Deppenidng on whats in the lens cleaning kit. Some are just cheap. A good lens cleaning cloth, or lens pen maybe. I no longer use liquid when cleaning my lenses.
The Sunpak is low on the power side, but probably a bit better than the on camera flash. Deppends on what your paying for it.

Sure. I understand from a previous post that you're taking some sort of class -- did you confirm with the instructor that a digital camera would work? Some of them still require film. Assuming it's ok, the 30D is a perfectly good camera -- I still shoot a lot with the 20D, which is basically the same with fewer bells and whistles. So, to your list:

~Canon 30D with 18-55mm lens [Good]

~50mm 1.8 [Excellent]

~75-300 mm lens [Perfectly serviceable]

~neutral density filter [I'd skip for now -- maybe later. A neutral density filter decreases the light available to the sensor, so as to allow you to use certain settings in very bright light. But before you start reducing the amount of light going into the camera, you should probably make sure that you need to do so -- I rarely come across the situation where I need one of these. If you do get one, you'll need two of them: one 52mm (for the 50mm 1.8) and one 58mm (for the other two lenses). Now, you might instead want a UV filter -- that's frankly a more common initial purchase. But I don't think they do that much, honestly.]

~Sunpack variable power flash, Guide number ISO 100-65 feet (is this one ok?) [It's fine, I think -- but I've never owned one. The overall reviews are good, though -- although some people say that it sometimes bonks on them from time to time. But as a starting point, it seems good to me -- and the price is right. I'm not sure how you'll want to go about getting it off-camera -- but I'd worry about that down the road a bit.]

~Circular polarizer (not sure which size to get) [52mm for the 50mm 1.8, or 58mm for the other lenses. Assuming you're working with Adorama, look under the specifications for "Filter size." By the way, you can put this off for later, too -- find out how you shoot first. But it is a useful gadget to have from time to time.]

~Adorama lens hoods (Do I have to buy a lens hood for each lens or is there one I can buy to use on all 3 lenses? [Sadly, lens hoods are specific to a certain lens size -- they're engineered to work with that focal length. This is heresy, but you can also put this off until later...I know, I know, they're important -- but I shot without one for quite a long time, and did ok. If you have the money, though, they do make a difference.]

~Neutral density Wide Angle Slim mount glass filter from B&W (not sure which size to get) [Do you have a lens that goes with this? As before, I don't see the point in reducing your light intake at this stage -- but even if you want to do so...what are you going to put this filter on? It's an expensive bit of kit, after all...I'm not sure what you'd do with it at this stage and with those lenses.]

~Adorama filter Slinger pouch (Do I need this or do they come in their own cases?) [They typically come in their own cases -- no harm in getting a folder, but I've never seen the need. I just stick the cases in the appropriate slot in my camera bag.]

~Adorama mini softbox diffuser for shoe mount flashes (Do I need this? I will be shooting alot indoors) [I've never used this diffuser -- but for $12, it's probably worth playing with. Let me know how it works!]

~Back pack to put everything in [Yeah, you need that.]

~Memory cards [That too, obviously.]

~I have a tripod [The first, I'm afraid, of many that you're likely to own...]

~lens cleaning kit (Do I need this?) [Depends. Do you own a t-shirt and have running water? If so, then no. But if they throw it in for free...I mean, it's a bit of t-shirt and some water (and sometimes a q-tip or two), but free is free.]

In terms of other kit you might need, I can't really think of anything -- what you want at this point is just enough to start taking pictures. The key is to get the camera, a lens or two, a bag, and memory cards -- and then start shooting. Whatever else you need will reveal itself.

Good luck!

Lens hoods are made for each lens. For example the hood for the 75-300 would be too long to use on the 50mm and 18-55mm (if you could mount it).
Same thing with filters. Each lens has its own filter ring size. Some lenses may have the same size. Need to check each lens. What you can do to save money is to buy a filter that fits your biggest lens (largest filter thread size). Then buy whats called a step-up ring. The step up ring will have 2 thread sizes. I to fit the smaller lens (filter ring size), and 1 to fit the filter you have. They are only like $15 so lot cheaper than buying filters (good ones anyway). Some filters come in a plastic case, some don't. My experience with filter pouches is the only thing they do is keep all the broken glass in 1 spot. They don't protect filter from banging around in the bag. I keep my filters in hard plastic cases (most of mine came with one, B+W and Hoya Pro Digitals).
Deppenidng on whats in the lens cleaning kit. Some are just cheap. A good lens cleaning cloth, or lens pen maybe. I no longer use liquid when cleaning my lenses.
The Sunpak is low on the power side, but probably a bit better than the on camera flash. Deppends on what your paying for it.

Thank you! I read about the rings so I will go that route.

Sure. I understand from a previous post that you're taking some sort of class -- did you confirm with the instructor that a digital camera would work? Some of them still require film. Assuming it's ok, the 30D is a perfectly good camera -- I still shoot a lot with the 20D, which is basically the same with fewer bells and whistles. So, to your list:

~Canon 30D with 18-55mm lens [Good]

~50mm 1.8 [Excellent]

~75-300 mm lens [Perfectly serviceable]

~neutral density filter [I'd skip for now -- maybe later. A neutral density filter decreases the light available to the sensor, so as to allow you to use certain settings in very bright light. But before you start reducing the amount of light going into the camera, you should probably make sure that you need to do so -- I rarely come across the situation where I need one of these. If you do get one, you'll need two of them: one 52mm (for the 50mm 1.8) and one 58mm (for the other two lenses). Now, you might instead want a UV filter -- that's frankly a more common initial purchase. But I don't think they do that much, honestly.]

~Sunpack variable power flash, Guide number ISO 100-65 feet (is this one ok?) [It's fine, I think -- but I've never owned one. The overall reviews are good, though -- although some people say that it sometimes bonks on them from time to time. But as a starting point, it seems good to me -- and the price is right. I'm not sure how you'll want to go about getting it off-camera -- but I'd worry about that down the road a bit.]

~Circular polarizer (not sure which size to get) [52mm for the 50mm 1.8, or 58mm for the other lenses. Assuming you're working with Adorama, look under the specifications for "Filter size." By the way, you can put this off for later, too -- find out how you shoot first. But it is a useful gadget to have from time to time.]

~Adorama lens hoods (Do I have to buy a lens hood for each lens or is there one I can buy to use on all 3 lenses? [Sadly, lens hoods are specific to a certain lens size -- they're engineered to work with that focal length. This is heresy, but you can also put this off until later...I know, I know, they're important -- but I shot without one for quite a long time, and did ok. If you have the money, though, they do make a difference.]

~Neutral density Wide Angle Slim mount glass filter from B&W (not sure which size to get) [Do you have a lens that goes with this? As before, I don't see the point in reducing your light intake at this stage -- but even if you want to do so...what are you going to put this filter on? It's an expensive bit of kit, after all...I'm not sure what you'd do with it at this stage and with those lenses.]

~Adorama filter Slinger pouch (Do I need this or do they come in their own cases?) [They typically come in their own cases -- no harm in getting a folder, but I've never seen the need. I just stick the cases in the appropriate slot in my camera bag.]

~Adorama mini softbox diffuser for shoe mount flashes (Do I need this? I will be shooting alot indoors) [I've never used this diffuser -- but for $12, it's probably worth playing with. Let me know how it works!]

~Back pack to put everything in [Yeah, you need that.]

~Memory cards [That too, obviously.]

~I have a tripod [The first, I'm afraid, of many that you're likely to own...]

~lens cleaning kit (Do I need this?) [Depends. Do you own a t-shirt and have running water? If so, then no. But if they throw it in for free...I mean, it's a bit of t-shirt and some water (and sometimes a q-tip or two), but free is free.]

In terms of other kit you might need, I can't really think of anything -- what you want at this point is just enough to start taking pictures. The key is to get the camera, a lens or two, a bag, and memory cards -- and then start shooting. Whatever else you need will reveal itself.

Good luck!

Ah, you guys are awesome!

I figured I would need different lens hoods for each lens but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something else out there. The neutral density filter I was told to get for shooting into sunsets and sunrises, I didn't realize it wouldn't fit on the lenses I plan on getting right now. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I think I will save my $10 and just skip the lens pouch and just make sure they come with the hard cases.
I will let you know about the softbox. I'm with you, for $12 I can just experiment with it. I'm just learning so I don't need anything fancy.

Oh and yes, I am taking classes at the college but I have pushed the classes off until August because my family and I are moving 12 hours away to NC at the beginning of May and I won't be settled in before the classes start in May. I am pretty sure I will need a film camera so I will have to start looking into those as well...any suggestions would be great! =D I can use my lenses with a film camera, right??

Thanks again!!

Not all dSLR lenses can be used on film cameras. Just check the specs on each lens to make sure. If I remember correctly, if they can't be used on a film camera they will specifically say so. Good luck with your move and your photo class. cheers!

I can use my lenses with a film camera, right??

You can use EF lenses, but sadly you can't use EF-S lenses on a film camera. You have two EF lenses -- the 50mm 1.8 and the 75-300mm. Those will work just fine on a film camera -- in fact, they'll work better, because they won't be "cropped." The 18-55mm, though, won't work because it's an EF-S lens -- a lens specifically made for digital crop cameras.

You can tell the difference by looking at the name:

CANON EF-S 18-55 3.5/5.6 IS
Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

Thanks everyone. I will look for a Canon 35mm SLR for my classes then. I want to go ahead and get one because I want to take a class just for film. I'm really excited to start learning. I went out and bought Understanding Exposure and a few other books for digital. Do you guys have any recommendations for film? I haven't looked in the tutorial thread but I am going now. Thanks again!

I've got an old Canon Rebel film camera I will give you. Let me know if it will work for your class. You pay shipping and its yours.

Most reactions

Back