Cannon 5D Mkll settings

Fragile

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All, just found this site and its what i was hoping for. I have a Cannon 5D MKll camera and I have a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens and a 24-70 lens. I am reading a lot about ideal settings to play with for this but was hoping that some one can tell me a couple of good setting for outdoors that i can preset and use when I cannot get my settings rights. Other than normal family outing type photos i will be trying to take images of dirt bike riding.

Can any one give me some guidance? Love to hear some ideas

Regards:D

Use AV mode, set ISO within range 100-400 depending on the lights... Play around with your aperture... Depending on the objects :))

Have fun

Sorry cant help you because there is no such thing as ideal setting every situation is different

Ok Sorry, I should have said, can anyone tell me what they use that produces decent pictures. I really have no idea what I am doing, reading a lot and i am hoping to do a course to learn more, but I am cannot do that till Mid June as I a traveling to US next month for a holiday, I didnt want to leave my camera on auto all the time.

I tried some different settings on the weekend, on TV mode looking at water I set the ISO at 800 as and the shutter speed at 0"6 the pic was awfull.

I tried the ISO at 400 - 800 and F18 then F11 ( Below)not bad but needs work, I know that most of you have way more experiance than me and that is why i am asking the question. I am not after professional photo's, just one that any beginner would be proud off :er:

$IMG_3575.jpg

Attachments

• $IMG_3572.JPG
    $IMG_3572.JPG
    417.9 KB · Views: 142
Still cant help there are so many different settings you can use to get the same exposure but with differing results photography is not something you pick up in 5 minutes like most think on here

Still cant help there are so many different settings you can use to get the same exposure but with differing results photography is not something you pick up in 5 minutes like most think on here

gsgary please stop replying with useless and negative responses.. not very welcoming to a newby :grumpy:

When you learn about photography you will understand what i have written if you know so little about photography leave it on auto until you have a clue what you are doing
Because you have not got begginer gear

Fragile, Gary is right. There is no such thing as ideal settings. The perfect setting for a photo is based on what the photographer want the photo looks like and the condition of the environment. In this second, it need this settings, but a minute later, the setting may need to change for the same shot if environment change. (i.e. Sun comes out from the cloud)

You are basically asking, I have a state of the art stove and cooking set, can anyone tell me how to prepare a perfect dinner?

The first thing you need to do to find a perfecting setting is learn what shutter speed, aperture and ISO are and their relationship. Learn the effects when using different shutter speed settings, aperture and ISO.

There are a lot more to learn, you may want to pick up some books or check out some online videos.

Unfortunately, Fragile, Gary is right. There's too many variables to tell you what settings to use. None of us know what the lighting conditions are, the lenses you are using, etc. It will take some trial and error. My suggestion to you is to try to learn how to read a histogram and learn composition. Reason being, you can see whether your subjects are properly exposed. You will need a fairly quick shutter speed to freeze action. Your aperture will also play a role in nailing focus but you will have to figure out how to calculate your DOF in relation to aperture, subject distance, and focal length. Once you get those in line, you can see if your subject is properly exposed. If not, time for an increase in iso or use flash( if permitted.) All of this can change from moments to the next and is dependent on the desired outcome. The only way to get it right is to practice and study. Practice so you can see what you are doing wrong. Study to see how to improve. Practice more to apply what you learned on how to improve. Good luck !

Lol Dao, we pretty much said the same thing.

Don't listen to these guys, everyone knows the best setting is - up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A.

That should give you about 30 lives and get you pretty far.

Lol Dao, we pretty much said the same thing.

Because we both tell OP the truth. :D

OP, if you really want to learn, a book called Understanding Exposure maybe a good start.

Take a look at the Tutorial Thread (sticky thread in the beginner forum here) and see if you can find some more materials to read.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back