Cannon AE-1 Program

zbo2408

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My parents have a Cannon AE-1 Program. They bought it when it was brand new when they first came out we have had it and used it until 2004 when they bought a Powershot A95... Now I am getting into photography & am thinking about the old 35mm in the closet, right after we replaced it, it broke, the film rewind mechanism failed. We never looked into fixing it since we had just bought the P&S. I havent looked into fixing it I am a student & broke, but just wondering how much would I have to invest in this camera, (Lenses, filters, film, ect ect) would I have any problem getting telephoto & Macro lenses for it? What would I need to take macro shots?

I have done all my learning on the P&S and I am thinking about how bad it is going to stink spending tons of time taking shots & having to drive, drop off film, kill time, pick up film & try to remember the techniques I was using on different shots & what I was wanting them to be you know? But at the same time I can't afford a new SLR & accessories...

I am kind of just rambling more than asking questions & just seeking responses... soooo what do ya'll think? I should be able to do anything in the world with that camera that I could do with a modern equivalent... right?

Thanks!!

The Canon AE-1 is pretty much a modern enough camera that you can accomplish the same photos as with a brand new camera. The major features improved from then to now being metering and autofocus.

In regards to investment... only you can determine your budget. Some of us have spent a few hundred and others spent thousands (upon thousands).

A decent DSLR with kit lens can be had for under $500.
A decent SLR with lens(es) can be had for under $500 as well. Unfortunately, it is usually not economically feasible to fix old/broken cameras unless there are other circumstances involved: sentimental, collectors, rarity.

For B&W negative, it is very easy and inexpensive to develop the negatives at home. Then examine them under lightbox/loop and pick the ones you feel like printing. I know camera shops that would develop negatives only for under $5.

Ouch....um truth be told I have not sent out my AE-1 for repairs yet...due to having a different FD body I like, so I am not sure what repair would run you.

I can however tell you that Lenses, filters, film, ect ect are not going to cost you a fortune. I have a fairly deisent inventory of Lenses, filters, film, ect. and I have spent less than a grand on the whole collection of Canon FD equipment.

Worst case scenario, you might have to replace the body, but seriously they are not drastically expencive. There are a couple users Here on TPF in the Buy and Sell section of the forum who are selling AE-1P's at a reasonable price.

Ouch....um truth be told I have not sent out my AE-1 for repairs yet...due to having a different FD body I like, so I am not sure what repair would run you.

Here are is a local place to me and their "estimated" prices of repair for the Canon FD. This is just to give you a ball park starting figure:

http://www.essexcamera.com/camera_list.php?brand=CANON

Often the cost of repair is worth more than the camera...

Here are is a local place to me and their "estimated" prices of repair for the Canon FD. This is just to give you a ball park starting figure:

http://www.essexcamera.com/camera_list.php?brand=CANON

Often the cost of repair is worth more than the camera...

Ouch....that makes me a little worried about if my EF ever breaks down.....They don't have it in their list of repairables....on top of that it does not seem the biggest issue with my AE-1 is covered...that being the broken eyepeice but anywho.

The AE-1 is a common and popular body they don't cost much to buy another one if need be.

$100 bucks is what they are estimating to repair... w/e it didnt say.... but either way I can't buy anything new for anything close to that. There is sentimental value to this camera and since I already have it I would like to keep it for shooting with film, which I'm sure will just be a fun "new" way of taking pictures.

The only thing that is wrong with it is the manual rewind mechanism... it doesn't drive the gears anymore so you cannot rewind film. It has to be an extremely cheap little part that has failed... but paying a technician by the hour to replace it is the only reason it would be expensive I would think.
Well I will start looking around town to see what I can find in ways of repair shops... I sure cannot think of any off the top of my head though :/

To take, Macro Shots & Telephoto shots, what would I need to buy, how do I know what to buy??

Thanks

Ouch....that makes me a little worried about if my EF ever breaks down.....They don't have it in their list of repairables...

EF line of lenses are not listed because Canon still is capable of repairing them in house.

Just a figure.... $200 was quoted to me a few times for a CLA on an EF prime lens.

EF line of lenses are not listed because Canon still is capable of repairing them in house.

Just a figure.... $200 was quoted to me a few times for a CLA on an EF prime lens.

You forgot again....

EF body....FD mount lenses....Older than AE-1 by about five years or so

Hehehehe... lol... just can't get that in my mind.. Sorry, I'm just stuck in a loop condition. :D

No big deal, It's one of those things that can be expected when one's favorite camera is a stopgap camera....It's only amplified by Canons novel idea of naming the current lens series after a body they thought people forgot about. :D

In the Charleston area Yellow pages there was 1 store listed under Camera Repair & they just ship cameras out to either Duluth GA or Charollete NC. She said on cameras as old as this the company would do a complete overhaul, break it down lube everything, fix w/e is broken, recalibrate the exposure... for about 80-110 dollars. So all of this sounds good I'd like to have all that done before I start playing with the camera, but I just dont like the idea of shipping it off for 4 weeks, has anyone ever done this or have experience with these companies?

Most reactions

Back