TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Please help :)

Im looking at the Canon Rebel Xsef or the Nikon D60, D90 or D200

I want to do sports / action shots at my kids soccer games and maybe
some wildlife pictures while hunitng.

Any advice on which camera and lenses would be so appreciated...

Thanks in advance..;)

Mark

Get the D200. Its the most rugged built of the group and can be had for about 600 bucks at BEST BUY new. Which is a steal as it is still a widely used and regarded camera.

However, for what you want to shoot, all that is dependent on what lens you get. For you, I would suggest a 55-200 VR lens (or 70-300 if you want to spend some coin), and a 18-55 VR lens to round it all out. You should be set with such a package and spend somewhere around 1000 or so bucks.

Thanks ANDS this is very helpful.

Mark

A good reason to choose the D200 is its faster frame rate -- for fast-paced sports, being able to hold down the shutter and grab a bunch of frames is really essential.

What is VR ? Thanks for the help guys.

mark

Vibration Reduction. Reduces, in an attempt to eliminate, camera shake's effect on the captured image. Doesn't help with stopping motion of the subject.

(And I love the title. I tire of 'Canon vs. Nikon' (especially in the last few days), but I'd LOVE to see a 'Cannon vs. Nikon' pictorial... or maybe a video. I'm guessing the Nikon will lose in nearly every case.)

Please help :)

Im looking at the Canon Rebel Xsef or the Nikon D60, D90 or D200

I want to do sports / action shots at my kids soccer games and maybe
some wildlife pictures while hunitng.

Any advice on which camera and lenses would be so appreciated...

Thanks in advance..;)

Mark

I was going through this same thing a few weeks ago. It really is hard to pick your first DSLR. I finally just went to the store and held them all for an extended period of time. I found the D60 felt best in my hands so I went with that one. I'm really happy with it. I'm learning a ton and having a blast.

I guess once you know your camera - assuming it can do what you want, you'll be able to capture your shots very well. I have a D90 myself and I can say it's fantastic in all areas

Why only looking into the Canon XS? THe Canon 40D and 50D have a fast frame rate for shooting sports as well. THe 40D can be had for a great "bang for your buck" price right now.

The D60 is nice and compact; however I REALLY hate the shutter button on it. It doesn't feel - "right". Which is funny because the D80 it seems has the same shutter feel, I just don't remember it - and I loved my D80.

Get the D200. Its the most rugged built of the group and can be had for about 600 bucks at BEST BUY new. Which is a steal as it is still a widely used and regarded camera.

However, for what you want to shoot, all that is dependent on what lens you get. For you, I would suggest a 55-200 VR lens (or 70-300 if you want to spend some coin), and a 18-55 VR lens to round it all out. You should be set with such a package and spend somewhere around 1000 or so bucks.

It's $799 at bet buy :)

Snooze ya lose I guess.

Most reactions

Back