Canon 1.4x converter

SnappingShark

Always learning.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I splurged this week and got myself the following.

Canon 5ds w/grip
300mm f4
16-35 f2.8

Now my question is, will the 1.4x converter work on the 16-35 f/2.8? I am curious.
I know it works on the 300 f4, pushing to 5.6.

Not that I'd need it to give me the 22-50mm range - specially losing a stop, pushing it to f4!
But just curious!

Thanks!

ps - reasoning for camera and long lens is I'm heading to Alaska - and while I'm not an avid wildlife guy, I want a camera which I can extend my range, crop into if need be, and also have it for regular shooting when I am back home. I know it's not a 10fps shooting machine such as the 7dII or others.

See if it physically mates with the 16-35 zoom lens...see if the lens rear element and the TC's front element do not bump into one another. The Canon USA or Canon Europe sites ought to list out the TC compatibility.

I really expect poor image quality from using a TC1.4x with a wide-angle zoom, but with the 300, I would expect very usable images.

So I splurged this week and got myself the following.

Canon 5ds w/grip
300mm f4
16-35 f2.8

Now my question is, will the 1.4x converter work on the 16-35 f/2.8? I am curious.
I know it works on the 300 f4, pushing to 5.6.

Not that I'd need it to give me the 22-50mm range - specially losing a stop, pushing it to f4!
But just curious!

Thanks!

ps - reasoning for camera and long lens is I'm heading to Alaska - and while I'm not an avid wildlife guy, I want a camera which I can extend my range, crop into if need be, and also have it for regular shooting when I am back home. I know it's not a 10fps shooting machine such as the 7dII or others.

Simple Answer: NO!
Canon Extender EF 1.4x Compatibility Chart

I use the 300 f4 with 1.4tcii. Virtually no drop in IQ. AF does slow down a bit. Even if you could put it on the wide angle it would defeat the purpose of that lens imo.

I definitely did see drop in IQ putting 1.4tcIII on 300f4. Generally, stopped down aperture to 6.3 or 7.1. to help. It's been a while since I've even tried. Not sure I will again until I can get an 500f4 ii or thereabouts.

The Canon 1.4 does not fit the 16-35 F/2.8. I have both and just tried it. The Kenko does fit but I do not recommend
the Kenko converters at all for anything Canon. I originally bought Kenko and they started to fail on various lens as Canon
updated their firmware for my 5D3. So beware. The Kenko works on Tamron and Canon doesn't so it's a mess.
There is a slight degradation in image quality on the 300 F/4 as I have that lens.

Thanks all - I was curious. I know on Nikon there were mismatches on some lenses too. I just got the 1.4 for use on the 300 though. Bald eagles here I come.

Most reactions

Back