Canon 1D Mark II N vs. D300 + Nikon lens question

lazyfortress

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
(I have a whole ton of questions by the way, sorry in advance!)

Hello. I have one DSLR and one lens currently, the D300 and a Nikkor 55-300VR. I am considering getting a used Canon 1D Mark II N for stop motion photography (and to see which camera is better suited to my needs, along with sports photos for my school). I found a used Canon 1D II N for $240. My question is, what else can I use the 1D for, along with the following questions:

Canon 1D Mark II N Questions:

• What can the Canon 1D II N do that my D300 can't do? What can my D300 do that the Canon 1D II N can't do?
  • What lens under $200 would be good for stop motion photography and general photography for the Canon 1D Mark II N?
  • Is it a good idea to have 2 cameras? Can I use the Canon 1D Mark II N in heavy rain and take pictures of lightning via long exposure? Is the Canon 1D durable and rugged? I never owned a pro DSLR like that.
  • What should I do to the Canon 1D Mark II N to keep it still while taking photos for a stop motion film? Anything that I may need in order to shoot stop motion with the Canon 1D?
Nikon Lens Question:

My 55-300VR on my Nikon D300 has incredibly slow autofocus. I rented a Nikkor 200-500mm for 2 days, and it had lightning fast autofocus. I really loved the performance of the 200-500.

• What's a lens under $500 that has very fast autofocus and can work on my D300?
Any help is appreciated!

I'll start backwards and answer 1 or two points

Tamron 70-300mm vc usd lens is a good one for the nikon

The canon and nikon would be well matched, the nikon has more resolution

It is a nice idea to have 2 cameras, but not 2 different brands

The canon is weather sealed with the correct lenses, but I think the nikon is also

This link, though not the be all, end all may guide you
Compare the Canon EOS-1D Mark II N vs the Nikon D300

If it was me (I had a canon and loved it), I'd concentrate on the nikon, the canon is probably a little to expensive to set up with lenses as it only takes fullframe glass, bigger and more expensive

(I have a whole ton of questions by the way, sorry in advance!)

Hello. I have one DSLR and one lens currently, the D300 and a Nikkor 55-300VR. I am considering getting a used Canon 1D Mark II N for stop motion photography (and to see which camera is better suited to my needs, along with sports photos for my school). I found a used Canon 1D II N for $240. My question is, what else can I use the 1D for, along with the following questions:

Canon 1D Mark II N Questions:

• What can the Canon 1D II N do that my D300 can't do? What can my D300 do that the Canon 1D II N can't do?
  • What lens under $200 would be good for stop motion photography and general photography for the Canon 1D Mark II N?
  • Is it a good idea to have 2 cameras? Can I use the Canon 1D Mark II N in heavy rain and take pictures of lightning via long exposure? Is the Canon 1D durable and rugged? I never owned a pro DSLR like that.
  • What should I do to the Canon 1D Mark II N to keep it still while taking photos for a stop motion film? Anything that I may need in order to shoot stop motion with the Canon 1D?
Nikon Lens Question:

My 55-300VR on my Nikon D300 has incredibly slow autofocus. I rented a Nikkor 200-500mm for 2 days, and it had lightning fast autofocus. I really loved the performance of the 200-500.What's a lens under $500 that has very fast autofocus and can work on my D300?
Any help is appreciated!

not sure about the 1DN but if you shoot sports for a school look at a newer Canon .... and maybe a nice telephoto prime or zoom.
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Most reactions

Back