Canon 2.0 Extender III = Excellent!

MohaimenK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Was at the camera store today talking to my friend that works there. Asked him to show me the extender since it was sitting behind him. WOW! I was blown away. It's an excellent piece. I thought of getting the 100-400 but this seems like a much better buy to go along with my 70-200 2.8. Image is sharp. I might pick this up soon, before I head over to Europe.

Keep in mind, this shot was through the store tinted glass window. Also keep in mind this only goes down to 5.6 for my lens.

5313368619_cb257c05bb_b.jpg

How was the AF speed performance?
I've read some hits that its very fast with the new 2*TC when paired with the 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2.

How was the AF speed performance?
I've read some hits that its very fast with the new 2*TC when paired with the 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2.

EXCELLENT! Super quick focusing. Beside the range, I couldn't tell the difference that I had a TC on :thumbup:

Sounds like a big advance then since with the 2*TCM2 I really do notice the AF speed reduce when using it even on such a fast focusing lens. I'm still waiting for some good comparison reviews to hit the net between the two TCs, though I recall reading the end of one which shows the M3 having very improved edge performance.

Also if its anything like the 2*TCm2 or the 100-400mm try stopping down to f7.1 and watch the image quality jump up a notch.

Sounds like a big advance then since with the 2*TCM2 I really do notice the AF speed reduce when using it even on such a fast focusing lens. I'm still waiting for some good comparison reviews to hit the net between the two TCs, though I recall reading the end of one which shows the M3 having very improved edge performance.

Also if its anything like the 2*TCm2 or the 100-400mm try stopping down to f7.1 and watch the image quality jump up a notch.

To be honest I didn't really give it a very good check. Is there a camera shop near you that carries it? If not, Amazon might be a good one, they have excellent return policy. There might be a shipping charge back that's it. I may even get away using this in a large church raising my ISO even at 5.6 if I ever need to.

There is a camera shop but chances are they'd have to order it in and chances are I'd not be able to leave it in the shop either ;)
Sadly I've not the budget yet to invest in the new version - and before that stage I'd also need to sell my current 2*TC. It's on the cards but the price is so close to an 8-16mm that it leaves me a little torn as to which to opt for first.

I see, yes I'd sell that before purchasing another one. But beside that you have to make decision if focusing is the only thing that is the issue and if its worth the money to replace it?

Indeed so - with a 1.6crop camera edge sharpness is less of an issue than it is on fullframe. That said there is a decent chance that I will upgrade the 2*TC since it is the most demanding of the two teleconverters - so any bonus is generall worth it to be had; though it might be after the 8-16mm and even the 150mm OS (if sigma ever release it ;)).

The major difference between that and the MKII is that there is a built in chip or processor to assist in AF. However, it only works on the new batch of lenses from what I have read. ( which I see you both have ). If you have the 70-200 Mark i, there probably isn't going to be a big enough difference to dump $500 on one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back