Canon 24-105L v prime lenses

ashleykaryl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just about everything I need to do in 35mm can be achieved within a relatively short focal range and for years I worked exclusively with my prime lenses from the 28mm F2.8 to the 100mm Macro. More recently I purchased a 24-105L and have been generally impressed by the performance, so I decided to test it side by side against the primes to see how they compare.

The first two parts with the 28mm F2.8 and the 35mm F2.0 can be seen at the following urls below and I shall add some more when the other lens tests have been prepared. Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

N.B This is not a highly technical test so simply treat it as my findings on that particular day, however, it does seem to mirror what I have experienced in day to day use with these lenses as a working photographer.

Canon 24-105L v Prime lenses test review shootout at 28mm | Nude Photo Pro

Canon 24-105L v prime lenses test review shootout at 35mm | Nude Photo Pro

I really don’t buy the argument that if a lens isn’t an L series it is automatically not worthwhile considering, since many non Canon lenses such as the 85mm F1.8 are of proven high quality and don’t need a letter L to justify their place in any photographer’s camera bag.
True, not necessarily. The 85mm f/1.8 is DEFINITELY worth considering.

However, "user reviews" of the 28mm f/2.8 and the 35mm f/2.0 are "mixed," to say the least. ;)

The L designation just makes it easier to separate the upper and lower line of Canon lenses... more to do with marketing than anything else. You are absolutely right that there are non-L lenses that are definitely worth considering... I"d even go as far as say that there are non-Canon lenses also worth considering.

Zooms have come a long way since the 80s but I still don't think they compare to even some inexpensive primes.

My fav's in the Canon line: 24mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 135mm f/2L and 300mm f/4L. The 135mmL simply always amazes me... I was sad to see it get sold.

I love my 85mm and I know the 135mm L is supposed to be an outstanding lens, but I've never really liked it as a focal length in much the same way as I prefer 24mm to 28mm. On the Hasselblad I've always favoured the 180mm over the 150mm. I guess it's all just subjective.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back