Canon 24 - 70L - opinions/reviews

ddm1975

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know I've read threads on this a lot! I've been needing a good (sharp) walkaround lens and think I'm about to purchase this one. I've heard great things about it, but I've also heard disappointing things about it not being as expected!

Just wanted others reviews that have it or have tried it.
:)

Thanks

I know I've read threads on this a lot! I've been needing a good (sharp) walkaround lens and think I'm about to purchase this one. I've heard great things about it, but I've also heard disappointing things about it not being as expected!

Just wanted others reviews that have it or have tried it.
:)

Thanks

Just bear in mind the 1.6 crop factor, if you own a crop DSLR. It takes away from the walkaround-ability of this lens.

Other than that - it's an L lens. 'Nuff said.

Thanks. I DO have the 20D.

I would not get rid of mine for anything!!

Best Canon lens in my arsenal (and I have many fancy Canon L lenses....)

I haven't been disappointed with mine, awesome lens.

would you get rid of it for the 24-105L f4 IS? And if so, or even maybe then why?

NO!

I don't need IS on a wide lens as more often than not when I'm using it its on my pod. Also the 2.8 can come in handy, also the 70mm x 1.3 crop = 91mm F2.8 or nice portrait lens and its nice and heavy which I like!

Thanks everyone!

would you get rid of it for the 24-105L f4 IS? And if so, or even maybe then why?

Yes.. I already did.... Two different lenses.. two different purposes... all explained in previous threads. (Trying to avoid degrading this thread to yet another 24-70 versus 24-105 IS thread).

The 24-105L fits my needs better... I also have a boat load of primes that are faster than the f2.8 aperture. (In fact, I find f2.8 too slow in low light...but enjoy the flexibility of the 24-105L)

Both are wonderful lenses.

I've never really heard anything bad about the 24-70.
It's one of the 2 lenses everyone recommends for a complete canon arsenal.

the 24-70 and 70-200 2.8s are like the Sonic and Tails of Canon...(I hope at least SOMEBODY gets that analogy)

I did! love that game....

Same goes for the 24-105 + 100-400

Ohhh you bought the 100-400 too, that's a combo I was gonna go for but I submitted to peer pressure and bought the 70-200 and a 1.4x extender. I'll surely pick up the 2x extender another day.

Yup.. I used to deal in used Pentax and new/used Canon. It was a little side business that allowed me to have fun with the stuff too.. (a little too much .. lol)

I had the 24-70, 70-200 f2.8 IS, and the 100-400mm. Later when the 24-105L came out, I acquired that too. When not shooting with primes, I naturally gravitated towards the 24-105+100-400 and the other two started to collect dust. Thats when I decided that the 24-70 and 70-200 must go... and I sold them.... it is all about personal preference.. nothing else.

On the sales side... when someone comes in with a bunch of cash, the key is to point them towards the exo-defacto Canon combo: 5D (or whatever high end is in stock) + 24-80 f2.8L + 70-200mm f2.8L IS. We were told not to care much about intention... outside of that environment.. I try to care a little more about the photog him/herself.

Peer presure.. sure.. give in.. go broke. hehe lol

I wasn't too impressed with the 2x extender but the 1.4x was good. Still best to shoot without them but it is a good option for flexibility. Me... I have always planned on getting the 1.4x paired to the 100-400 but never really needed it... so I just borrow on the once in a blue moon occasion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back