Canon 24-70mm 2.8L IS anytime soon?

Neil S.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would really like to get a 24-70 2.8L, but I can't help but wonder if an IS version might be out soon.

Has anyone heard if they are working on one? It seems logical that they would be to me. A google search didn't return anything really.

The only thing close is the 17-55 2.8 IS, and I feel its lacking optically especially on my 7D. It is still a pretty descent lens, althought its overpriced imo.

Yes IS is something thats quite important to me, if you are wondering.

There was a rumour months ago about the IS version coming out. I had the cash for the 24-70, ready to replace my Tamron 28-75. Even the guy at the store told me back in May that there were rumours of a new one.

But then Canon came out and said that its new lenses are an 8-15 fisheye zoom, 70-300 4-5.6 L zoom and are upping their long primes (300,400,500,600). Nothing about a 24-70 IS :(

http://www.canonrumors.com/ is a half decent site for...well...canon rumours :)

EDIT: From Canon Rumours, posted on Aug 30

1Ds Mark IV @ Photokina
Receiving a few tidbits of information about an upcoming 1Ds body.

Everything points to it launching before Photokina. We’ve even seen claims it could launch as early as this week.
I also received one emailing claiming it would be launched with 1 lens. No word on what lens that would be.
The 1D Mark IV didn’t launch with a lens, however the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II did launch a couple of months earlier on its own.
A new 24-70 is obviously a lens that would make sense to launch with a new 1Ds.

There was a rumour months ago about the IS version coming out. I had the cash for the 24-70, ready to replace my Tamron 28-75. Even the guy at the store told me back in May that there were rumours of a new one.

But then Canon came out and said that its new lenses are an 8-15 fisheye zoom, 70-300 4-5.6 L zoom and are upping their long primes (300,400,500,600). Nothing about a 24-70 IS :(

Canon Rumors is a half decent site for...well...canon rumours :)

EDIT: From Canon Rumours, posted on Aug 30

1Ds Mark IV @ Photokina
Receiving a few tidbits of information about an upcoming 1Ds body.
Everything points to it launching before Photokina. We’ve even seen claims it could launch as early as this week.
I also received one emailing claiming it would be launched with 1 lens. No word on what lens that would be.
The 1D Mark IV didn’t launch with a lens, however the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II did launch a couple of months earlier on its own.
A new 24-70 is obviously a lens that would make sense to launch with a new 1Ds.

Thanks for the info, this is interesting stuff.

I am a tad broke at the moment anyways, so waiting isnt that big of a deal to me.

I sure hope they do release an IS version soon. I am guessing it will be the lens to get for many Canon fans if they do.

Why is the IS important for you? When the new one is released, the old one will drop in price.

I picked up a 70-200 2.8 IS a few months ago, a month or so after they released the new 70-200. The old one dropped $500 at a local store as they were trying to get rid of their inventory

I am not sure what type of photos you are shooting, but I have been shooting the 24-70L, and I shake like a leaf in the wind.

I use a tripod most of the time, but I am getting better at hand held photography. The lens is a lot of fun to shoot with, not only sharp, but the colors are awesome.
I use it a lot for architectural without the tripod, and I improve each time I go out.

I see these for sale at good prices on the web, you may want to go that route, and not wait.

Why is the IS important for you? When the new one is released, the old one will drop in price.

I picked up a 70-200 2.8 IS a few months ago, a month or so after they released the new 70-200. The old one dropped $500 at a local store as they were trying to get rid of their inventory

I am a big fan of IS because I like to shoot handheld. I own a very nice carbon tripod, but often I just want to keep moving or don't even feel like bringing it.

The IS on my 70-200 2.8 mk II is so good that I can shoot with insanely slow shutter speeds and still get sharp images. It's hard for me to live without it after shooting with that lens.

When I shoot with my 35mm 1.4L handheld I miss having it quite a bit. I guess some people look at it like a crutch or something, but I don't.

One thing is for sure, it makes getting sharp handheld photos much easier especially in low light. That is of course if subject movement doesnt factor into the equation.

Last edited:
I am not sure what type of photos you are shooting, but I have been shooting the 24-70L, and I shake like a leaf in the wind.

I use a tripod most of the time, but I am getting better at hand held photography. The lens is a lot of fun to shoot with, not only sharp, but the colors are awesome.
I use it a lot for architectural without the tripod, and I improve each time I go out.

I see these for sale at good prices on the web, you may want to go that route, and not wait.

I will probably wait a year or so, and if I still don't hear anything then I will just pull the trigger on the current version.

I wasn't knocking having IS...its a feature, just like any other, that some find essential and others dont. I would never have any success with a 70-200 if it werent for IS.

I guess it also depends on what you shoot. If you are doing low light action shots (night spots, concerts), IS will not help a fast moving subject with low shutter. If you are doing walk around shots, architecture, photojournalism and such, then the IS would help as the subject is static.

I dont have IS on my Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and its just fine. But then, its not built like a tank like the 24-70...

I wasn't knocking having IS...its a feature, just like any other, that some find essential and others dont. I would never have any success with a 70-200 if it werent for IS.

I guess it also depends on what you shoot. If you are doing low light action shots (night spots, concerts), IS will not help a fast moving subject with low shutter. If you are doing walk around shots, architecture, photojournalism and such, then the IS would help as the subject is static.

I dont have IS on my Tamron 28-75 f2.8 and its just fine. But then, its not built like a tank like the 24-70...

Ya I agree that it depends on what you are shooting.

I bought my 35mm for my 1st L glass, knowing full well that it didn't have IS. I don't regret this either, because its such a good lens especially on a tripod.

Pretty much I am looking for L glass to replace my 17-55 2.8 IS. Getting a lens with FF compatibility in this focal range is especially important to me because I may buy the 5D mk III when it comes out.

It needs to have IS, because I will use it as a walk around lens a lot. I know its a little heavy, but this won't be a problem. I have used my 70-200 mk II as a walk around lens for 1/2 days, and although I was very tired after it was doable for me.

Most reactions

Back