Canon 28-105 or 28-135

Which lens would you prefer?

• Canon 28-105 3.5-4.5 II USM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canon 28-135 w/ Image Stabilizing

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • You're out of your mind... neither! I'll post some more ideas of lenses in this price/zoom range!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to purchase a used 28-105 3.5-4.5 II lens tomorrow for $135 w/ a UV filter. I know this is a great price. What I'm wondering, is if I should sell it (and get probably $170) and upgrade to a Canon 28-135 w/ IS. I'd really like an IS lens, but is the extra cost worth it?

I'm looking for advice from people who have had either of these lenses...not advice from people who've simply read reviews...i've done plenty of that.

How's the AF speed compare?
I shoot a lot of action shots, and need a lens that'll do well with AI Servo. For instance, my 50mm 1.8 doesn't keep in focus near as well as my 70-200 Sigma 2.8. The Sigma doesn't ever lose focus.

In the reviews I've read, the image quality for both of these goes both ways. People who have the 28-105 think its best, and people who have the 28-135 think it's best. In addition, people that have BOTH can go either way. So, as much debate as there is out there, I'm not too worried about this.

I simply need a good "walkaround lens". I suppose the question is: Would you spend an extra $230 to get the 28-135 w/ IS and brand new w/ a warranty?

Canon Digital Rebel XT
18-55 Canon
50mm 1.8 Canon
70-200 2.8 Sigma

I don't have either lens, but I am going to just pop-up on my opinion on IS vs non-IS. IS or VR is worth its weight in gold if you handhold and shoot in variable light. If you don't handhold, you don't need it.

To me, I would determine first whether I needed IS, and then I would know which lens to consider...

I don't have either lens, but I am going to just pop-up on my opinion on IS vs non-IS. IS or VR is worth its weight in gold if you handhold and shoot in variable light. If you don't handhold, you don't need it.

To me, I would determine first whether I needed IS, and then I would know which lens to consider...

Good point. I handhold lenses all the time...hardly use a tripod/monopod. Just move around too much. So, the IS feature helps out pretty well? My brother-in-law takes wedding photos and says it's worth every penny. Is that true?

Most reactions

Back