Canon 35mm F2 or 85mm F1.8????? Ideas?????

oldnavy170

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been doing my research on a new lens. I have come upon a Canon 35mm F2. I never hear anyone talk about this lens on this forum. I had my mind set on the 85mm F1.8 but I would like to hear some reviews on the 35mm F2. Who knows maybe someday I could buy both but for now I am saving to get at least one.

Anyways, reviews on the Canon 35mm F2 anyone? (BTW, it has excellent reviews on Amazon)

Thanks.

You don't tend to hear much about 35mm primes, because the 50mm ones are far more popular... partly because they tend to be cheaper and/or faster, and also because of people being used to 50mm being the "normal" focal length for the 35mm format. But on a smaller-sensor dSLR, a 35mm is obviously closer to being a "normal" prime. And like 50mm, a 35mm prime is a design where it's fairly hard to go wrong; they tend to be optically very good, even wide open, and still very affordable. I haven't used the Canon one so can't really give a review, but the Nikon and Pentax equivalents are excellent, and I expect the same is true of the Canon.

If you already have a fast standard zoom (18-50 or 24-70 f/2.8 etc), or have a 50mm and don't sometimes find it a bit too long, then there might not be much point in getting a 35mm. Otherwise, I'd consider it a great buy especially if you want something similar to using a 50mm prime on film. On the other hand, 85mm is also a great focal length so I guess the question is, which can you see yourself using more, a "normal" prime or a portrait telephoto?

I tested the 35 at the shop when looking for a fast prime. I found it a bit "chincy" in construct and the lack of a USM makes the AF unbearably slow. I was at a impasse because I wanted a 24-35mm range for night shooting at bars, clubs, etc. and found the 50 f/1.4 a bit too long for situation I am in. Was hoping the 35 would work since it would be a 48mm on the 1.6 crop without going to the f/1.4 L version (insert drool here). I might settle on the 28 f/1.8 but would really like that 1/2 stop of speed.

It's rough on the edges like the 50mm f/1.8 but it does get overall over sharp around f/4. The reason few people have it is because its range is covered by every kit lens. People typically jump on the 50mm because of the very low price for an f/1.8. The 35mm costs considerably more.

I already own the 50mm F1.8 but I am looking for something just alittle better. Its a nice lens for the price but my lens struggles to find the focus. I want a lens that can be alittle better when it comes to focusing.

Well thanks for the advice. I think I will keep saving for the 85mm F1.8 which is going for around $350 right now which isn't a bad price.

Well the 35mm is effective like a 50mm on a cropped sensor and the shorter focal length means you can hand hold it wide open in the same light as the 85mm wide open and still get less camera shake blur even with a 3rd stop narrower aperture.

Am I mistaken in thinking that Elsaspet uses the 35mm F/2. I seem to remember her saying that is what she uses. I am not trying to say that is a reason to get that lens but she might be able to give you some advice on it. As far as comparing to 2 I have to say you are talking apples and oranges here both lenses would be a great addition to anyone's bag for different reasons. I have the Nikon 85mm 1.8 and I love it but I would also like to have a Nikon 35mm F.2.0.

The USM on the 85 will help with faster focusing (when the lens can find it) I do not know how much shutter speed you will gain since, if any, since you are using the same aperature as the 50. There is always the 85 f/1.2 :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back