canon 400D and other lenses

spirosnm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi

Is there a certain type of adapter I must use in order to "fit" a HOYA or a ZEISS lens to the 400D ?

If so, is there a specific type ?

Please give some direction so that I can do a little research. Thanks

That camera (along with every other Canon EOS camera) has a Canon EF mount. So any lens that you mount directly to the camera, must have an EF mount.

You can use adaptors, to mount other types of lenses...but these will either take away the ability to focus at infinity or hurt the image quality.

What type of lens (specifically) are you asking about?

Most adapters do not allow for auto focus, which is not always a bad thing. Like Mike said, a lot of the adapters will cause IQ to go down a bit.

I have a HOYA 80-200 and a zeiss 2,8-25, so i was thinking of just getting a body 400D and mount these on..

What type of mount do your lenses have? That's the important thing.

This will sound stupid. I found the lenses from an old camera and have no idea ... :oops:

What types are there ? How will I check it ?

It might say, somewhere in small print.

Otherwise, it might be a good idea to take them to a camera shop or someone who might know. Maybe you could take photos of them and post them up here.

does the "Y/C" mean anything ? (for the HOYA that is) These lenses were for a Contax model...

These lenses were for a Contax model
Well...now we are getting somewhere. If you know the camera that they did work on, then you can easily find the mount type. I'd suspect it to be an 'M42' type mount but I might be wrong.

Either way, they won't mount directly to a 400D (or any other DSLR that I'm aware of) without some sort of adapter.

It's probably best if you stick to using those lenses on the camera that you have for them (or another old SLR with the same mount). If you want to go digital, you will probably need new lenses.

sorry for possibly going off topic but i would rather ask in here, after sall it is 400D with other lens..

ok so here goes, i've got a canon 400D with the kit lens (EF-S 18-55), my guess is 400D's have an EF-S mount, so does that mean that you cannot use an EF mount lens fully (all its features)?

ok so here goes, i've got a canon 400D with the kit lens (EF-S 18-55), my guess is 400D's have an EF-S mount, so does that mean that you cannot use an EF mount lens fully (all its features)?
No, the camera's mount is basically the same as every other EOS camera...film or digital. EF-S lenses are different because they protrude further into the camera than EF lenses.

You can use all EF lenses on all EOS camera...with full compatibility. EF-S lenses only work on certain digital EOS bodies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back