Canon 40d/50d question

iAstonish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times already, but I keep finding older threads (2008, etc.)

I was wondering which you guys prefer? I am aware of the better LCD screen on the 50d and a few added features, but is there any real difference in IQ? I could get a new 50d for $975 at B and H or a used 40d for >$600 elsewhere.

$400 is a nice chunk towards a new lens, but would like to hear what you guys think.

For reference, I shoot a lot of different types of photography, but am currently working in sports, so how usable is the higher ISO on the 40d?

I'm a Nikon shooter, but the FPS from the 40 and 50d is very appealing for the price.

If your on a budget go with the 40D. There is not a whole lot different but for me the difference was enough to get the 50D which I love. I have used the 40D as well and I dont think one could really say one is way better than the other.​

Well I have enough for either or, but I was just looking for some personal insight from people who own or have shot with both.

I've read numerous times that the 50d is more of an "addition" than an upgrade. I am contemplating whether the extra money would be better spent on glass.

I had a chance to handle the 50d recently though and really like the feel, although I know that the 40d is almost exact in terms of build and button layout. Are there any differences between the two? Any extra buttons/short cuts on the 50d?

Also I would love to hear what you like more about the 50d, or more about the 40d.

Thanks!

Also I guess since I am a Nikon shooter, I am looking at the 40d and 50d like the d200 and d300, but that wouldn't be a close comparison right? The d300 is worlds ahead of the d200, so I guess that is what I'm asking.

Is the 40d/50d similar or what? Canon users, help me out here haha

Why switch from Canon to Nikon now I think the D5000 has better Higher iso than the 40 or 50D. Use the money on fast glass for your Nikon. I also thought it would be cool to have 6.3 fps but I rarely use it. Dont get me wrong it is cool but most times its hit or miss on the focus if the subject is moving real fast. I think you will be happier with some better Nikon glass ie: 80-200 f2.8 (I dont know much about NIkon but everybody recommends that lens). Anyway back to the 40 and 50D I would buy the 50D again over the 40 due to the better LCD and live view.

Why switch from Canon to Nikon now I think the D5000 has better Higher iso than the 40 or 50D. Use the money on fast glass for your Nikon. I also thought it would be cool to have 6.3 fps but I rarely use it. Dont get me wrong it is cool but most times its hit or miss on the focus if the subject is moving real fast. I think you will be happier with some better Nikon glass ie: 80-200 f2.8 (I dont know much about NIkon but everybody recommends that lens). Anyway back to the 40 and 50D I would buy the 50D again over the 40 due to the better LCD and live view.

I already sold the d5000. I need the fps, because I am shooting sports for Division 1 NCAA football and basketball. I am picking up a 70-200 2.8 regardless, but was wondering if I should go with a used 40d over a new 50d. And yea the high ISO was great on the d5000, but it was a bit to slow and the layout (no dedicated buttons) was not very user friendly for changing settings on the fly.

I already sold the d5000. I need the fps, because I am shooting sports for Division 1 NCAA football and basketball. I am picking up a 70-200 2.8 regardless, but was wondering if I should go with a used 40d over a new 50d. And yea the high ISO was great on the d5000, but it was a bit to slow and the layout (no dedicated buttons) was not very user friendly for changing settings on the fly.

Oh I see! Well if you are shooting NCAA I think you really need to consider the 7D its quite a bit more but autofocus is supposedly light years ahead. The 50D will let you crop a little tighter due to the higher MP. But if your mostly only shooting sports I dont think it would be worth it to get the 50D.

Well sports is what I am getting paid to shoot, but I'm a photography student, so I have to cover a broad range of things.

The 7d is awesome, even the 5d is great, but for that used price (less even) I can get a new 50d. I'm looking to keep the camera for a few years, so I would prefer to buy new.

And while I do make some money from photography, as a college student it isn't even close to enough :thumbdown: but hopefully afterward it will be :thumbup:

Thanks for all the advice so far.

One of the big differences, as I see it, between the 40D & the 50D, is the processor. They jumped from the Digic III to the Digic IV (or was it II to III?).
It doesn't really show up in the typical comparison of features, but I think it's an important upgrade.

I think that a lot of people were 'disappointed' with the 50D when it came out, because it's high-ISO noise levels weren't really any better than that of the 40D...but that's quite an accomplishment because they crammed another 5 Megapixels onto the same sized sensor.

So from what I can gather, the big difference between the two, in practical terms, is that you get more Mega Pixels...with roughly the same quality. And it also looks like the 50D has a better LCD screen (920,000 dots vs 230,000 on the 40D).

Lastly, if sports shooting is your primary focus, it might well be worth it to jump to the 7D. It's faster at 8 fps, the AF is supposedly better, it's got more MP (which can help for cropping), it's got a better viewfinder etc.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp

I have 40D, and the only feature on 50D that I want to have it in my camera is the Microfocus adjustment. And I do not think I will spend the extra to get the 50D if that is the only thing I want.

What about the rumors of Canon announcement of the 60D in July/August? If you can wait, that maybe a pretty good upgrade from 40D/50D.

Ah yes, I forgot about the microfocus adjustment. That's a feature I'd love to have.

What does the microfocus adjustment do? Adjusts the focus I'm guessing lol but how so?

Also I'm thinking the the 40d/50d isn't the same jump as the d200 to d300 in Nikon terms, correct?

What does the microfocus adjustment do? Adjusts the focus I'm guessing lol but how so?

Also I'm thinking the the 40d/50d isn't the same jump as the d200 to d300 in Nikon terms, correct?

It allows you to make very slight adjustments to each individual lens to correct for a lens that does not focus correctly. None of my Canon lens needed any adjustment. But it could be very useful for a front or back focusing lens.

It allows you to make very slight adjustments to each individual lens to correct for a lens that does not focus correctly. None of my Canon lens needed any adjustment. But it could be very useful for a front or back focusing lens.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info bro!

If you go to DPReview.com,when they reviewed the 50D they did a lot of side by side with the 40D. Yes, I like the MA on my 50D, and the screen. Live view I could care less about. However, there are some important areas where the 40D outperforms the 50D. Namely high ISO performance and IQ. Had I known that when I upgraded from my 350D, and had there been new 40D's still available, I may very well have purchased the 40D instead. All that being said, I love my 50D. Read the 50D review and see what you think.

Most reactions

Back