Canon 40D now or 50D later?

JSI

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'd like to get some advice. I'm interested in getting the Canon 40D now because the prices have gone down considerable.
That being said would it be worth waiting for the 50D to go down or should a jump on the low price on for the 40D?

I'm just an amateur with a Rebel Xt I've had for a while and want to move up to something with a bit more features.

Thanks

Jeremy

We can't really answer this for you. For some people, it might be worth it, for others it might not.

What are you looking for, specifically, in an upgrade from the XT?

The 40D would be a pretty good upgrade, but the 50D is the latest technology and some people say that it's always best to get the newest technology.

But is the cost for the "new technology" worth the price over the old model?

Take the 40D which can be had for around $1000. The 50D for $1500. Then say throw in the 17-85mm kit lens and the 40D only goes up to $1200. That seems to me like a pretty good deal.

Jeremy

You can almost always get a good deal by buying the older technology...and the 40D is a great deal at the moment because it's really not very old at all. You need to ask yourself if you will feel the need to upgrade in a year's time...or will you be satisfied with the 40D for several years?

If you consider a camera's life span, $500 may not be that much for the additional technology in the 50D...but maybe the 40D is already as good as you will need. It's really up to you.

Perhaps you would be better off to stick with the XT and spend the money on a good lens or two. There really isn't a right or wrong here.

I'd rather get a 40D + a good lens (not the kit ;) than just the 50D.

But then i got a pre-order on a 5D mk2 now so i might be slightly biased ;)

ya ive shot on a 40d and for the 1k spend the rest on lens
it will most likely do what u want and more

If I could go back in time I would get the 40D body an L series lens like the 24-70 f/2.8L USM ($1,350). The kit lenses are ok for learning, but even as a new shooter I am already feeling like better glass is required for where I hope to go with my exposures.

This may put you a little over budget, but how sweet a rig..

If I was your rich dad I would get you a used 5D body and a 50mm prime just to introduce photography from a unique platform.

-Shea

Thanks for the advice. I am leaning towards the 40D well mainly because the cost is lower and I don't see the 50D having anything I really "need" to have. That being said I'm no expert and wanted to know what other people with more experience felt where the advantages with the 50D.

Honestly I think either will be well above anything I would need at my skill level. Like already stated the extra cash saved on the 40 could be put towards new lenses.

Is the 17-85 IS kit lens worth the extra $200 or would it just be wasted money that could be put somewhere else?

Jeremy

Is the 17-85 IS kit lens worth the extra $200 or would it just be wasted money that could be put somewhere else?
The 17-85mm IS lens is worth well more than $200, it's a darn good lens. I wouldn't say it's a fantastic lens, but still darn good.

The 17-85mm IS lens is worth well more than $200, it's a darn good lens. I wouldn't say it's a fantastic lens, but still darn good.

Thanks, I thought it was a good deal considering the retail is in the $500+ range.

Jeremy

Most reactions

Back