Canon 450D TV PRoblem~Help!

Grimgard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently bought a Canon Rebel xsi 450D and it's a great camera but I had a weird problem with the TV not going over 1/200 of a second. The camera can go as high as 1/4000. I would switch the camera to TV mode and use the dial to adjust the Time Value I could go lower than 1/200 but never higher. I turned the camera on and off but still no luck. I reset to camera to default settings and still no luck. I switched leneses and still no luck! then I switched back to the original lense and it worked. Now I can go over 1/200 in TV mode. So what happened? was there a glitch in the cameras software? or did I have the TV locked so it would not go past 1/200? Thanks for your help

Isn't that the flash synch speed?
Did you have the pop up flash up?

Isn't that the flash synch speed?
Did you have the pop up flash up?

I tried it with the flash up and down also outside without the flash up. I am new to DSLR but have used Mega zoom cameras and TV mode and have never had this problem.

The more I think about it The flash was down because I was outside taking pictures of my dog and could not understand why my pictures were blury. I check the TV and it was at 1/200 and I figured that was the highest setting for the camera since it would go no higher. Then I read the book and it said it can go as highas 1/4000 so that is when I started to try and understand why it was locked/stuck at 1/200.

Maybe its a software glitch?

The camera will limit the shutter speed to 1/200 when it's using flash (or maybe when it thinks it's using flash). Make sure the flash is down and locked properly.

Take a look at the photo's ExIF data. It should tell you if the flash was fired.

The camera will limit the shutter speed to 1/200 when it's using flash (or maybe when it thinks it's using flash). Make sure the flash is down and locked properly.

Strange maybe the flash was down but the camera didn't register it? I'll keep an eye on it. I hope I didn't get a defective camera.

Well, in Time Value, the fastest shutter speed is limited by the maximum aperture of the lens, and the prevailing light's brightness level....

Have you tried going outside and pointing the lens to an area say 20 degrees to the right or left of the sun,and seeing if you can get a higher shutter speed?

Well, in Time Value, the fastest shutter speed is limited by the maximum aperture of the lens, and the prevailing light's brightness level....

Have you tried going outside and pointing the lens to an area say 20 degrees to the right or left of the sun,and seeing if you can get a higher shutter speed?

I did adjust the aperture as well and could not get it past 1/200 and I would assume the camera would let you adjust the TV higher for outside sport shots so the players or subject would not be blury.

I do not see a way to delete this post and I am new here and did not realise this was the wrong section. Can a moderator please delete this? Thanks.

You didn't post in the wrong section and there isn't a way you can delete the thread, because you don't own it.

The moderators won't delete it, because you're not the only one who has posted in the thread.

Besides, others can learn from your situation and the comments other members posted, so don't be so quick to dismiss your unfortunate, but enlightening experience.

You didn't post in the wrong section and there isn't a way you can delete the thread, because you don't own it.

The moderators won't delete it, because you're not the only one who has posted in the thread.

Besides, others can learn from your situation and the comments other members posted, so don't be so quick to dismiss your unfortunate, but enlightening experience.

LOL Thanks. I just didnt want double posts because we all know how some people can be on the internet :greenpbl: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/digital-discussion-q/203409-canon-450d-tv-setting-help.html

Anyways it seems it was a problem with the software in the camera. I just got home and went outside (sunny) and I am able to change the TV past 1/200. I switched to AV mode and was still able to change the time value as well as P mode. I opened the flash and it went to 1/200 then closed the flash and was able to go all the way up to 1/4000. Same results in the shade and indoors. Anyways problem solved and I hope it's not a bad camera.

Strange....:confused:

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back