Canon 450D XSI vs Canon 40D

maXpower

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Someone help me make the choice on which one to buy.....Pro's and Con's? I will be taking action shots at XC races.

For actions shots...get the 40D....but just as or more important...will be a good lens.

Someone help me make the choice on which one to buy.....Pro's and Con's? I will be taking action shots at XC races.

The prosumer 40D will probably be more capable of taking bursts of shots, which is what most people look for when shooting action.

I'm not a Canon guy, but I thought I read somewhere that the kit lens that comes with the 450 isn't really working well with the huge resolution of its image sensor. They said that the 400 takes better photos with the kit lens. But PLEASE look for more information on this before you make a choice. It was a fleeting comment I read, and I'd hate for someone to make a choice based on something I looked at 2 months ago.

Either way, you're gonna be SOOO happy. I'm jealous for you if picking between two awesome cameras is a tough decision! :)

I would buy the 40D based on the feel and controls alone.

Then you have benefits - like easier/better controls, etc. Don't let 12 megapixels trick you :)

Also, I own a 40D and a 20D. I am about to sell the 20D, and you can bet it's going to be another 40D for sure :)

Also also, you do know that the 40D's are crazy cheap now, right?

I would buy the 40D based on the feel and controls alone.

Then you have benefits - like easier/better controls, etc. Don't let 12 megapixels trick you :)
yep, i've already made that mistake on the G9......whick it takes great still shots....but the performance sucks!:x

ok, i'm leaning toward the 40D because of the $200 instant rebate.....when does this run out?

another ques., when you use the 40D in live preview does the FPS decrease?

yep, i've already made that mistake on the G9......whick it takes great still shots....but the performance sucks!:x

ok, i'm leaning toward the 40D because of the $200 instant rebate.....when does this run out?

another ques., when you use the 40D in live preview does the FPS decrease?

The rebate runs out in Mid-July. I would assume the 6.5FPS doesn't work when using live view, because of extra shutter movements, but I'll give it a try.

I had the same debate on the 450D and the 40D. My sister-in-law bought the 450D, so I had a chance to try it out. I had a 300D with some extra batteries and compact flash memory, so the choice on the 40D was a no brainer for me. It is a much better choice on the performance side, plus I had compatible memory and batteries already. The 40D is like a machine gun when taking shots at full speed.

I'd pick the 40D over the 450D anytime, especially with Canon Rebate, it's a no brainer.

I have the 40D and the burst rate is what you really want for XR Races.

I didn't want to start another one of these Rebel vs 40D posts, so I am resurecting this one :p

XSi:
+12MP
+Live view
+Cheaper price(in Canada)
-Cheaper build
-Slower (fps)

40D:
+Better quality build
+Faster (fps)
+More focus points (I don't quite understand this...)
-Expensive -er
-Less MPs
+live view

Anything else?
The price is my main issue... I can afford it, but it will be at the expense of better/more lenses.

My other question is, being my first DSLR, should I start with a rebel, learn the ropes, and upgrade in a few years time? I'm sure there'll be a upgrade to the 40D, and technology will change. I will want to upgrade to the newer technology, even if my current camera is still good, so...?

I say 40D and fewer (1 or 2) good lenses rather than many cheap one. Simply a better body, well worth the slight premium over the rebel.

thanks for the info guys i purchased the 40D! i should have some pics to share in a couple weeks.....:D

XSi:
+12MP
+Live view
+Cheaper price(in Canada)
-Cheaper build
-Slower (fps)

40D:
+Better quality build
+Faster (fps)
+More focus points (I don't quite understand this...)
-Expensive -er
-Less MPs
-No live view
The 40D does have live view. With an f/2.8 or faster lens, the center auto-focus point on the 40D is better.

It's a good choice. The XSI feels too small in my hands and the 40D feels good. Also, I like the scroll wheel on the 40D as opposed to the buttons to get through your menus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back