Canon 500d in Sports Mode

bowersj2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Canon 500d (Rebel T1i). When I put it in Sports Mode and take a picture of something that is moving, like the blades on a ceiling fan, the fan blades show up as a blur instead of appearing clear and stationary.
Is there a problem with the camera? If I move the dial to Auto the blades do appear stopped.

The 'picture modes' aren't magic...they do the same things that you can do in the 'creative modes' (P, Av, Tv & M).

Whether or not motion appears blurry in a photo, has to do with the length of the exposure. That usually means the shutter speed....you need a fast shutter speed to freeze movement. However, the shorter (faster) the shutter speed, the less light can get onto the sensor (film). There are other variables (lens aperture and ISO) but if there isn't much light, then you will need a longer shutter speed...which will give you blur.

I'm guessing that you are not getting blur in Auto because the flash is firing in that mode. The flash duration is very short, much faster that the shutter speed...so it's fast enough to freeze most movement in a photo.

Thanks Big Mike, I thought that there might be something wrong with the camera. I assumed it was using a fast shutter speed since it was in Sports Mode but I didn't take into consideration that the lower light level would cause it to use a slower shutter speed even if it is in Sports Mode. And you are also right about the light level being low and as I am sure your are aware the flash doesn't work in Sports Mode but it did use the flash in Auto. Makes sense. I appreciate your help!! Hope you have a great day!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back