What's new

Canon 50D

Lee_Maryland

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 2, 2010
Messages
69
Reaction score
0
Location
Maryland
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to photography, and looking to purchase my first SLR camera. I have been reading the tips on the forum, as well as reading reviews, etc. I have somewhat decided to go with canon 50D as my first camera, can I please get some thoughts on this camera? Mostly likely I am going to be a weekend photographer, and my ultimate goal is to shoot weddings as a career. Thank you for the help on this.
 
It is a good solid prosumer camera from Canon. (I use EOS 40D)

It will do what you need. If you have the budget for a 5D MKII, I will go that route. (especially for weddings) But 50D still a very capable camera and I learned that a lot of people use 50D (or even older model) to shoot weddings.
 
fine camera for your needs. Learn with it, grow with it, and move to a full frame when doing weddings professionally.

Way more important than the body are the lenses that you use with the camera. Get some good quality and fast glass (f2.8 or lower). You will probably upgrade that body in a few years, while the lenses will remain. Many people I know who have been shooting for a while have had their good lenses for 10+ years, and in that time, have changed bodies 3-4 times.
 
fine camera for your needs. Learn with it, grow with it, and move to a full frame when doing weddings professionally.

Way more important than the body are the lenses that you use with the camera. Get some good quality and fast glass (f2.8 or lower). You will probably upgrade that body in a few years, while the lenses will remain. Many people I know who have been shooting for a while have had their good lenses for 10+ years, and in that time, have changed bodies 3-4 times.


BigWinky,

Does it make more sense to you purchasing a lower end SLR camera for learning? Like a canon Rebel? And buy quality lenses as I go along? Like you said, I will probably upgrade bodies in a few years.
 
Quality lens make a big difference in terms of image quality. If you are planning to the good lenses later on down the road, it is fine to start with 50D (or a used 40D which is around $5XX now)

Personally I prefer the way the XXD series camera feel. (Rebel is a little too small for my big hands) One thing you may want to know that the estimated shutter life of the 40D/50D is 100,000 clicks vs 50,000 on Rebels. And when you are ready to shoot wedding later on, you need a backup body anyway. So your 40D/50D can act as a backup camera.

If you have not try out the cameras, you may want to make a visit to a camera store and check them out. Check out the other brand such as Nikon as well and see which one you like better.
 
Having had a similar experience...

I picked up my first camera in late 2008. I was debating between a Rebel XSI and a 40D. I went with the XSI for budget reasons, but really, I could of picked up the 40D. I didn't have any photography forum to ask questions to and didn't do too much research ahead of time. I just new it had to be Canon as I had some older Canon lenses that I wanted to fit on the camera.

I started taking some classes and getting seriously into photography by the end of that year. By early 2009, I felt that I had already outgrown the camera. I still have it as my main camera, but upgrading when I get back from a trip.

Do I regret the purchase? Well, its a damn nice camera, great to learn, provides great results. What I regret is that I wanted to upgrade soon after. Had I had the 40D, would I of felt the need to upgrade so soon? I Dont know. What I do know is that if I had to do it all over again, I'd get the 40D and then build on lenses.

It all depends on what you plan on doing and how serious you think you will be. The T2i is a good camera, great to learn and grow with. But if you are serious and progress, then you might outgrow it quickly. Maybe you won't.

Either way, focus on the lenses and not the body.

T1i, T2i, 40D, 50D... not a huge difference between them. There is a difference, but again, nothing huge.
 
Thank you for the advice guys. I have actually tried both cameras at Penn camera, which is a local camera store. The rebel does feel a bit light and small for me.

Dao, when you said shuttle life for 40D/50D. Does that mean after 100,000 clicks the camera might not be usable or need some repair?

 
That is just a rough estimate. It doesn't mean the camera/shutter will break after 100,000 clicks. It also doesn't mean it won't break after 3000 clicks.

What that really means to us is it is a better build camera and it should normally last longer than the consumer camera.
 
Buy used from POTn instead of losing your ass on a new camera. A 30D can be had for about $300 on a good day. I bought mine new for $1100.
 
Buy used from POTn instead of losing your ass on a new camera. A 30D can be had for about $300 on a good day. I bought mine new for $1100.

I've seen 40Ds going as low as $600 locally, and from what I hear, 40Ds are a nice upgrade from a 30D. But a 50D is just a so-so upgrade from a 40D
 
For used gears, I usually buy it locally from craigslist or online from ebay. Some local camera stores also carry used gears as well. You may find some nice used gears from online stores such as BH video, adorama and Keh.

Refurbished gears is also an option. Refurbished Canon photography equipments from Adorama has 1 year warranty from them directly. Although I have not bought used stuff from them, but we have few members here did and happy with their experience.
 
T1i, T2i, 40D, 50D... not a huge difference between them. There is a difference, but again, nothing huge.

I would disagree with that. There are a lot of important differences between the Rebel series and xxD series.

xxD series bodies gain a top mounted LCD, rear control dial (in addition to top dial and rear joystick), a better usable ISO range (I have been satisfied with plenty of shots at 3200), twice as fast of burst rate (3fps -> 6.5fps), a faster autofocus, and a more solid, sturdy feel. I'm sure the Rebel series has grown a lot since my XTi, but I've not seen anything which would lead me to believe they could compete with xxD cameras outside of single shots in an ideal-lit studio set.

The 50D is a great little camera and would be fine for weddings pared with some good glass.
 
Oh, I agree that the xxD line is different and an upgrade from the Rebel line. While the differences are there, for someone who is just starting out and unsure what to buy, and for this person, there isn't a huge difference between them other than price.

If one can afford a 50D, I'd go for that over a Rebel camera. But if one could get a Rebel camera and say a nice 50mm 1.4 or throw in a bit extra and get a 24-70 or something similar, I would go that route as the differences between the two bodies aren't huge, specially when a possible upgrade will happen in a few years to a full frame camera.

I guess my wordings are off this week... :(
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom