Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM --- Soft?

biostockman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I bought this lens brand new a month ago to be used on my XSI after reading rave reviews... However, I've had a lot of soft images with it and the AF sucks. I do admit that some of the photos are stellar but overall the quality isn't what I was expecting... I've tried every type of setting but the clarity is lacking big time. Is it possible that I just got a bad copy?

What apertures are you using?

If you're shooting wide open, or close to it - that may be the source of the problems...

Why Focus-Recompose Sucks

If you suspect it may be the lens, send it to a Canon shop while it is still under warranty.

Maybe I'm just too use to IS and I can't stand still... Perhaps some diazepam instead of a new lens would be better.

Maybe I'm just too use to IS and I can't stand still... Perhaps some diazepam instead of a new lens would be better.

Maybe some heroine ... good stuff. Like usayit said - got pics?

+1 to USA - we need to see examples and the EXIF settings as well as details on how you took the photos (ie handheld, tripod, in strong wind, how you focused the shot etc)..
Also post up some 100% crops from the sharpest points on the shots so that we can get an idea of the fullsize quality that you are getting with the setup

Whether its me or the lens.

Hard to say without seeing pictures, but - since I have that lens, I'm inclined to think it's you...
I shall, I have to pull them off my external. I'll place them up tomorrow... I'm thinking its something to do with the AF, it's just not consistent. But again... I'll put some pics up tomorrow.

BTW - don't take that as an insult or anything... If you don't normally shoot with fast primes, they can take a little getting used to...

I have that lens and it's slow on AF but it's sharp, even wide open.

Are you happy with the sharpness of all your other lenses?
If so send it back for re-calibration.

_MG_0592.jpg

At f1.4

BTW - don't take that as an insult or anything... If you don't normally shoot with fast primes, they can take a little getting used to...
Not insulted at all... It's my first prime and I've only used it for a total of about 3-4 hours (about 1000 shots) since purchasing it.

Most reactions

Back