Canon 50mm f/1.8 Mark 1 for $45 ?

majorpayne66

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I bought this lens today on Craigslist. Its in perfect condition and has a metal mount on the bottom so I think its a older lens.
Is it worth $45 ?
Is it any better then the Mark II ?
What do I shoot with it ?

Optically they are the same.

Build wise.. Mark I is better than MarkII. You found yourself a bargain... I got mine a while back for $65 and resold it for more.

Optically they are the same.

Build wise.. Mark I is better than MarkII. You found yourself a bargain... I got mine a while back for $65 and resold it for more.

You Capitalist Dog you!!! :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao:

What do I shoot with it ?
The same things that you shoot with your existing 18-55mm lens zoomed to 50mm, except that you can shoot them with a sharper lens with a much wider aperture.

The wide aperture is good for shooting in low light or where you want to freeze a moving subject because you can use shorter exposure time. This may allow you to shoot indoors without a flash.

A wide aperture also causes a shallow depth of field, which makes your foreground and background go to a smooth out of focus blur, while your subject remains in sharp focus. This effect is liked for its artistic use in portraits. Get your subject's eyes in sharp focus, and the distracting background will blur away. The effect can be even more dramatic than what you created here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/majorpayne66/3071103625/

Thanks for the feedback. Besides portraits of people, what else is good to shoot with this lens? Things like cars, bikes and small objects ? Please recommend some uses.

The same things that you shoot with your existing 18-55mm lens zoomed to 50mm, except that you can shoot them with a sharper lens with a much wider aperture.

The wide aperture is good for shooting in low light or where you want to freeze a moving subject because you can use shorter exposure time. This may allow you to shoot indoors without a flash.

A wide aperture also causes a shallow depth of field, which makes your foreground and background go to a smooth out of focus blur, while your subject remains in sharp focus. This effect is liked for its artistic use in portraits. Get your subject's eyes in sharp focus, and the distracting background will blur away. The effect can be even more dramatic than what you created here:
Simple pleasures on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks Justaengineer. I guess I type sloooooooooooow

You Capitalist Dog you!!! :lol: :lmao: :lol: :lmao:

Who me?

I used to make a bundle reselling used equipment... well not a lot... just enough to fund my habit. Most of the time, I'd end up keeping stuff I should have sold. It helps to have connections to "Nikon heavy" shops that are good at convincing the locals to switch from Canon to Nikon (I buy the trade-ins in bulk).
I once did a deal that netted both a Canon 24mmL and 400 f/5.6L used/good for a whopping $1000 together... I ended up keeping the 24mmL (until recently) for pocket change.

Don't see much stuff to sell lately... no time to follow up either..

Besides portraits of people, what else is good to shoot with this lens? Things like cars, bikes and small objects ? Please recommend some uses.
Don't think of lenses for shooting particular things. Any lens can shoot anything...it's just a matter of how you want to use it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back