Canon 50mm f1.4 USM

o hey tyler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently (yesterday) coerced my grandfather into getting this for me for Christmas for my new Canon I got approximately a week ago, and I was wondering in terms of optics and clarity if it's worth the extra money over the 50mm f1.8.

A short while ago I got hired with my girlfriend to do photography for a new years event, and I know that we're going to be shooting in low light and we don't have external flash to work with. I am sure the extra leeway with the aperture will come in handy, but for low light conditions, are the extra stops really needed?

Thanks for the help and whatnot.

It's not so much the extra light-gathering the 1.4 brings with it--it is a whole host of other things the 1.4 offers and the 1.8 model does not--like the ability to simply grab the focusing ring and override the AF system with the 1.4--you can't do that with the 1.8. The 1.4 also focuses much more quietly. And positively and reliably; the 1.8 EF-II occasionally would hunt for focus, for no apparent reason. The 1.8-EF-II also suffers from flimsy construction, with all too frequent barrel separation, especially when the lens shade is on and it gets bumped--the 1.8 can literally snap into two segments. I'm not kidding.

Canon's 50 1.4 also has a more-rounded diaphragm instead of the 5-sided one in the 1.8,and as 50's go, the 1.4 model has decent, smooth bokeh, while that of the 1.8 is "nervous", to use my word for it. The 50mm 1.4 EF is a very good 50mm lens--one of the best non-aspherical, non-break-the-bank 50's made. It is Canon's standard-grade, professional 50mm lens. I like mine. I gave my 50/1.8 EF-II to my wife's nephew when he went to design school.

Thanks Derrel, that really helped. I am more at ease with my purchase. I noticed that the manual override feature was fairly unique and I am looking forward to giving it a shot.

OH AND THE BOKEH! I have been using my girlfriend's 50mm f2.5 Macro and I have been enjoying that quite a bit. The bokeh with that lens is very dynamic, but I have a feeling the f1.4 will give me better results.

I've read in several places that the Sigma 50mm 1.4 outclasses Canon's. (It's also a little more expensive - but way less than Canon's 1.2 L).

Anyone have experience with it?

I agree with what Derrel said. The 1.8 is poorly made, often hunts for focus or misses focus. The focus ring on the 1.8 is super narrow. If you can afford the 1.4, get it.

The sigma supposedly does outperform the canon... according to reviews it's a bit sharper at maximum apperture and the addition of an extra blade allows the sigma to give smoother bokeh. appart from that however the lenses are pretty much the same (keep in mind this is only info gathered from reviews not personal experience, i have never tried the sigma). the sigma is heavier, bulkier, and more expensive. I've only had experience with the canon 1.4 and i can say that it is certainly worth the extra bread.

Oh shat, well I guess I will have to settle for the Canon. I was expecting to get the 1.8 since it's considerably less expensive. So I'd say that I can deal with the Canon 1.4 as opposed to the Sigma.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back