canon 50mm lens confusion

Rockern1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was in the same position as you back in December. The 50mm f/1.8 is a cheap lens. Derrell informed me that the build quality is lackluster. It has the potential to break into two pieces very easily. If you want to try out the 50mm 1.8, go for it.

The benefits of the 50mm 1.4 is that you have an extra stop wider for your aperture, and it has better build quality. Not to mention a manual focus override so that you can change the focus of the lens even when it's in AF mode. I have the 50mm f/1.4 and I love it. It pretty much stays on my camera at all times. Highly recommended by me.

thanks tyler
ill probably go with the 50mm 1.4 instead of the other one wouldn't want it to break now would I;)

Although the 50mm 1.8 is a great lens for what you pay, I would not have gotten it if I could go back in time.

1) It feels, sounds (focusing) and looks like a toy more than a tool.
2) It seeks when focusing in any lighting that's less than perfect.
3) Like mentioned above, one drop and you can expect pieces of it to go flying in opposite directions

I just copy my answer from the other thread I posted yesterday.

The Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 MKII. This lens is the best bang for the buck lens in Canon line up. But it has limitations. If you are fine with the limitations, it is a good lens. (As least for the price)

Thess are the limitations I know so far when compared with the F/1.4 version.

1. Build quality. The lens is not well built. But it doesn't mean it will fall apart anytime soon as long as you take good care of it.
2. Less shutter blades. The F/1.4 version has more shutter blades so it create a better out of focus background type shots than the F/1.8 version. (8 blades vs 5 blades)
3. Slower AF speed. The F/1.4 version is a USM lens so the AF speed is faster and quieter. And it has a Full Time Manual Override AF mode. (But I do not mean the 50mm AF is slow, it is faster than some lens I saw)
4. Plastic mount vs metal mount. It may not make too much difference, but I just like metal mount lens. :)
5. Depth of Field (DoF) scale. The F/1.4 has a DoF scale.
6. Manual focus ring on F/1.8 MKII is a tiny little ring which position in the front of the lens. Sometimes it is a little harder to use.
7. F/1.4, of course it has a wider max aperture than the F/1.8. And because of the wider max aperture, it also help in AF.
8. According to the MTF data from photozone, optically, they are about the same from F/4 to F/8. But the F/1.4 version is sharper from F/1.8 to F/2.8
9. Of course, because of the way the F/1.8 version is made, it weight less. But then again, the F/1.4 is not a heavy lens.

So is the F/1.4 worth the extra? It depends on the person who buy it. It is up to you. Also, personally I think the older version of the 50mm F/1.8 is better than the newer version. I sold my mkII (bought new) and purchase the mkI (bought used).

The MKI version ..
1. Has a DoF scale.
2. Metal mount instead of plastic.
3. Better build quality than the new one.
4. Manual focus ring not in the front of the lens.

I own both. I dropped the cheap one from shoulder height onto a stone, church floor. It bounced high enough that I didn't need to bend to catch it. Still works fine. It's fragility is greatly overrated.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back