Canon 50mm MK1

JayPearson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just wondering if anyone has this lense in particular. I've been talking about getting the 50mm 1.8 for some time now, but im starting to second guess myself on the mark 1 or the mark II. The mark 1 is a little bit more expensive than the mark II and apparently is more durable than the mark II. This link has all the details about both.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-MK1-Lowlight-Camera/dp/B001JDD1OE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1230412791&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Canon 50mm Mark 1 MK1 Lowlight Prime Camera Lens: Camera & Photo[/ame]

Just trying to do my homework before i get something, then wished i had bought something else. Any help is appreciated.

Be patient and watch your local Craigslist ads for the MKI. In the last 2 months in Denver there has been half dozen ads for the MKI for about $50. I just got one for $45 in perfect condition.

I think you'll be fine with the mark II. I worried a lot about it before I bought a 50, and finally went to the store and looked at the mk II. It's not built great, but it's not going to fall apart either. I will admit that I don't use mine much anymore, but when I was really learning photography, it was a totally indispensable lens.

Wow! $45 isn't bad at all. The one i was looking at on amazon was $150+.

Either way i'm going to get one or the other, i just can't decide on the new or the old.

The answer is simple, the new one. What the link does not tell you is the difference in the glass between the Mark I and II. To save money, Canon changed some items on the lens, but not where it counts. They put extra money into the glass.

This lens uses Gaussian optics to help with its color accuracy and sharpness. It is slow to focus and does not come with a lens hood standard. With that said, it's $90 new. For $90 you will be hard pressed to find a better lens.

Most people complain about the stability of the lens and other factors because they are just trying to sell the Mark I. Do your homework, but the Mark II will work for you.

-Nick

I used to own the new MK II version and is now replaced with a used MK I. At one point, I own both at the same time.

As for image quality wise, I really do not see much different at all. For things that affect the IQ, from what I got from the Net they both use the same glasses but the newer one has a better coating for lens flare.

I did not do any technical test between the 2 lenses, but after looking at the regular photos taking from the 2 lens, I really cannot tell the difference. So I sold the new version.

I really like the solid feel of the lens and the metal mount of the older version. For sure, there are nothing wrong with the MK II version, I still think it will last for a long time as long as I don't abuse it. But if there is a choice, I prefer the older version.

As for the auto-focus speed, they are about the same because both are not USM type lens. And they both have focus issue with low light situation.

Well i def. don't mind saving a little money. Even if i buy the 1.8 and find out its not for me, i'm only out $85.

Exactly. And while the mk.1 might be better built (but only a little), for the average price it is going for you could nearly buy two mk IIs.

Most reactions

Back