Canon 5D and MK II

dak1b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All!

sooo I was thinking about getting the canon 5D (mark I), however now I'm thinking I should save up and get the canon 5D mark II!!!:mrgreen:

I really want a full frame and I'm wondering if the extra $1000-$1500 is worth it? The mrk II seems like it has all the features I need then some!!!! only thing wish was better was the fps, but thats no deal breaker!!!!!!!

You guys think its worth waiting and saving my money for the canon 5d mrk II?

suggestions please.

I'm planning on buying the 5D mk II from Canon directly, I want warranty and ease of mind.

suggestions on this matter please.

You could wait 6-12 months and get a mark iii. That's my current plan.

The 5D mkI is still a good camera by most standards, and if you can get a good deal on one, then it might be worth it. That being said, it's a rather old camera by today's standards and the mk II has made many worthwhile improvements. It it worth the price (to you), only you can answer that.

As for a new version...it was over 3 years between the mk I and the mk II. And it hasn't yet been two whole years since the mk II was announced. So I wouldn't be holding my breath for a mk III version.

You could wait 6-12 months and get a mark iii. That's my current plan.

Or you could wait 2 years and get a mk4 or 3 years and get a mk5, what is the point of waiting as soon as you buy any camera they are talking about bringing a new model out

ah the technology rat race.... there's no ending.

When the 5D MIII (or whatever replaces it), you'll regret buying the 5d MII... and so on.

If the 5D MI has all the features you need, then I'd go ahead. $1000-$1500 can be used for other things including nicer glass (judging from your sig). If there's something particular to the 5DMII that enables you (video perhaps), then continue and save. As already mentioned, the 5D MI is still good by todays standards.

hmmm ok.

Well video isn't too much of a concern for me. I'm trying to stick to still photography. however video is a cool feature.

The big plus here for my is the new censor and the iso + the 21mp compared to 12

There are a lot of other features that appeal to me as well on the new 5Dmk II, but again wondering if its really worth it.

It would take me about 5-6 months to save up for the 5D mk II, and less than 1 month for the 5D mkI.

I'm upgrading my camera because I want Full Frame!

Do you really think Canon is going to release the 5D MK III anytime soon?

Keep in mind that the only lens in your signature that would work on a full frame camera is the 100mm macro. Not sure if you have others that aren't listed, but that's something to keep in mind.

If you go full frame, you're going to have to buy some new lenses pretty much right away. So tack that onto your budget...

The 100mm macro is a great lens, but I would hate for it to be the only one I had...

Keep in mind that the only lens in your signature that would work on a full frame camera is the 100mm macro. Not sure if you have others that aren't listed, but that's something to keep in mind.

If you go full frame, you're going to have to buy some new lenses pretty much right away. So tack that onto your budget...

The 100mm macro is a great lens, but I would hate for it to be the only one I had...

i'm aware of that. thanks though.

lens i'm bying rigth away.

15mm fisheye and 50mm 1.4 :mrgreen:

then going from there.

hmm ya kinda thinking I could get the 5D mkI for around $1000-$1200 w/ less than 10k shutter count + excellent condition+ grip...then just use the extra money on some nice glass =]

just a thought. sounds like a smarter choice financially.

When looking for a used camera, what should I look for in the Canon 5D mkI???

red flags?

thanks!

there's no point buying a mark i if that's not wt u really want

Did you notice that the OP said that the only requirement is full frame sensor which the Mark I is equipped?

Also don't forget some people needed to upgrade their computer to handle the larger files produced by the MarkII as well.

there's no point buying a mark i if that's not wt u really want

Did you notice that the OP said that the only requirement is full frame sensor which the Mark I is equipped?

Also don't forget some people needed to upgrade their computer to handle the larger files produced by the MarkII as well.

again full frame is my main concern here.

I do like the jump of new technology on the mkII, I don't really have any use for video though. I like the 21+mp + new tech on the mkII, but don't really know if thats worth spending the extra cash.

this is a hard decision...as of now i'm leaning more towards the MKI, just because it financially smarter.

hmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
if all i wanted was a FF sensor, i'd get the 5DI over the 5DII. I like the sensor in the 5DI more and I don't like how the 5DII looks at ISO 100, or the really bad banding at higher ISOs.

If you want FF, fast FPS, an AF system that's not so pedestrian, pro level build and sealing, and still have great high ISO, than jump ship to nikon. The only real good lens you have is the 100 macro, so it wouldn't be like you're really sacrificing a whole lot.

Most reactions

Back