What's new

Canon 5D Full Frame at 12.8 mp or Canon 7d Crop at 18mp?

wcc

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 29, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi there,

I am brand new, so I'm really sorry if this has already been posted. I did a little searching, and I couldn't find anything (It could just be my ineptitude to search). I am in the market to upgrade to an upper level dslr or 'prosumer' body, and I'm having issues resolving between these two cameras. I really want to just pick up a used 12.8 5d (not mark ii) on ebay and use the remaining coin to pick up some L Series glass I've been eyeing. But, I'm wondering if there will be a significant difference in image quality between a full frame 12.8 megapixel sensor or a cropped 18 megapixel sensor. My gut says that I'd be fine with a used 5d. I won't be doing any enlarging for commercial uses etc, and I feel like the extra size of the full frame would be really nice. I primarily will be taking this body on hikes etc and using it for landscape shots. However, it will also get tossed in my bag for everyday use too. Any opinion or guidance is much appreciated!

Thanks,
-w
 
An L Series 17-40mm 4.0 will probably live on it. If I get the extra cash I'll be looking into an EF prime 35mm 2.0. I'm really building my bag from the ground up. I already sold off my old Rebel T2i and EF 50mm 1.4. That was my beginner equipment (Initially took PHT 101 as a college elective).
 
I'd say see if you can have a try with shooting with a fullframe sensor (local camera club or shop) and see how you like the different angle of view it gives you. From what you say (landscape) I don't think either camera would underperform for you based on its own merits - but you might find the wider angle of view helps - or not you might find you prefer and want to stick to the 1.6 crop.

Another consideration is action - if you have any interest in action photography the AF in the 7D is by far and away superior to that of the 5D (or even the 5DM2) and that might sway you if you feel that AF speed is important for areas you're interested in.

The only other feature I'd really consider after sensor size and AF speed is the video function of the 7D.
 
Looks to me like you prefer shorter focal lengths... if so, I would definitely go with the 5d for full frame. As mentioned, the 7d has merits elsewhere to weigh in.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom