Canon 60d Action shots blurry, grainy, dark...help!

You have the wrong lens to start with, you need a fast lens f/2.8 or faster..I would recommend a 70-200 unless you are tying to get group shots. You really need a camera that can go to 26500iso (and shoot at 12800). Most roller derby's don;t allow flash and it ruins the "atmosphere" of the shot anyway. You need to use at a minimum 1/500 shutter (so you flash is not going to sync anyway) and you need to use spot focus and choose specific targets as they come by. In a poorly lit, fast moving environment you need to plan on only 40% or less of your shots turning out so take lots of shots. 500-750 for one evening is not out of the norm.

Alright...now I have a question...After spending a couple of hours in a dark roller rink, using direct flash, high ISO, preset modes, bounce flash, etc...I am TERRIBLY disappointed in my pics. I have a Canon 60D and a Canon 430ex flash. I bought a stroboframe to offset my flash and used it also. Someone please give me a "dumbed down" lesson about your typical roller rink photography...low light, dark, carpeted walls, fast skaters, action shooting, etc... or tell me where to find this information. Why are most of my pics blurry? I tried my max ISO (6400) with and without the flash, lower ISO with and without the flash. My lens is the 18-135mm that comes standard with the camera. I understand some bit about noise with a high ISO but didn't shoot that many in the higher range. I didn't have good luck with the auto focus obviously...(I know I should have done manual focus now) With the exception of a few, the pics are either dark, blurry, or both. Even though digital photography is new to me I mostly turn out good shots...except today. Help...​

Still no pics? I dislike when people want help with photos and then don't post any photos. This is like asking for a critique on a book that you wont let anyone read.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back