Canon 60D, my first SLR question

wer2next

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well i finally decided on my first SLR, the Canon 60D. I posted a while back on buying a camera but due to a few unforeseen expenses i had put the camera on hold.

My question is which should i get? Body only, body w/ 18-135, or body w/ 18-200. I am tempted to go with the 18-200, but is this lens worth the extra cost?

Canon EOS 60D DSLR Camera Kit with Canon EF-S 4460B016 B&H Photo

What will i be doing with the camera? I wanted it for soccer games, under the lights outdoor, indoor soccer, and spring will be outdoor soccer, So fast action mostly.

My knowledge of lenses is minimal at best, If i were to get the body only, what lens would i need to go with the body? My budget is about 1500, i might be able to go to 2000 if i had too.

Thank you, Carlos

Get 60D with 24-105 f/4L . Perfect all around lens.

No, the 18-200 mm is not worth the extra cost from an overall image quality viewpoint.

Yes, the 18-200 mm is worth the extra cost from a convenience, all-in-one, jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none viewpoint.

I personally would get a good lens f2.8 or lower and slowly build up, instead of buying the same lens twice if you really get into what you're doing.

been looking at reviews for 60d and it looks great thank you. will look into some more

I cant comment on the price but the 18-135mm would be nice to start with, give you plenty of range and all in all it gets good reviews for what it is. If i came across the lens and body for a good deal I would go for it. It will teach you what lenses you need going forward and would always be good as a walk around lens.

Thank you all for the comments.

Get 60D with 24-105 f/4L . Perfect all around lens.

I checked out that lens, and it looks amazing, that might be the one i go with. I also came across this one Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Lens 2578A002 B&H Photo Video If you or anyone else has any thoughts on it please let me know. Is it over kill for shooting soccer games, or not enough?

No, the 18-200 mm is not worth the extra cost from an overall image quality viewpoint.

Yes, the 18-200 mm is worth the extra cost from a convenience, all-in-one, jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none viewpoint.

I will keep that in mind

I personally would get a good lens f2.8 or lower and slowly build up, instead of buying the same lens twice if you really get into what you're doing.

Very good point. Any thoughts on the lens above (70-200)?

been looking at reviews for 60d and it looks great thank you. will look into some more

Seemed like the right one for me. Price and quality all seem to be there.

I cant comment on the price but the 18-135mm would be nice to start with, give you plenty of range and all in all it gets good reviews for what it is. If i came across the lens and body for a good deal I would go for it. It will teach you what lenses you need going forward and would always be good as a walk around lens.

I may go with a stock lens. Is there any place you recommend buying the camera?

I might go with these two, If i can get feedback on this lens.

://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/732048-REG/Canon_4460B004_EOS_60D_DSLR_Camera.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/183198-GREY/Canon_2578A002_EF_70_200mm_f_4L_USM.html

or would that lens be strictly for bright light conditions? No under the lights or indoor soccer?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back