Canon 6D Official

friend of mine hit me up and explained to me a bit about FF and their dof as well as low light handling, how much better it is over the 7D...which I am already impressed with. So those two things clarified in terms I can understand...helps me assess this camera a bit better. Still not something I need any time soon...but makes it appear not as "eh" as I initially thought...

just thought I'd add that to my initial thoughts on it. as they are just that...thoughts....so I'm doing nothing but voicing opinion and thoughts on the matter.

EDIT: I am at least happy that 6D is getting 1/8000 rather than the rumored 1/4000. And I'm pretty certain 11 point AF will be all cross type with higher sensitivity middle focus point. 6D is a good replacement for 5D2 at the same price range today and for those eyeing 5D2 price drop like me a great news indeed.

Actually, no it doesn't. Like the D600 it is maxed out at 1/4000.

Canon 6D shutter: 1/4000sec, 100,000 cycles
Nikon D600: 1/4000sec, 150,000 cycles

The other things that have the Canon forums buzzing:
Price = to D600
11 focus points vs 39 on D600
1/180 sec flash sync speed vs 1/200 on the D600
97% frame coverage vs 100% on D600
1 SD card slot vs 2 on the D600
4.5 FPS vs 5.5 on the D600
20.2 MP vs 24.3 on the D600
No built in flash (sure, not mandatory, but does come in handy and I would hate not having one)

I also recall reading somewhere that the shutter only has a 100,000 rating vs the rated 150,000 of the D600

There's nothing about the 6D which is impressive enough to get me to hang up my 5D...

There's nothing about the 6D which is impressive enough to get me to hang up my 5D...

Dude...YOU, of ALL people on TPF could easily move to the 6D and become....Steve6D...I mean, think about it!!!!

Ernicus said:
The 7D if phenomenal at reduced noise at high iso, I shot 6400 often now that I can, with minimal or no trace of noise. IQ...? I doubt highly that the IQ of the 6D over the 7D will be that noticeable. so those 2 alone out of the equation...what's left?

If you don't see very noticeable noise from the 7D at ISO 6400, you're not looking very hard. Sure, it's not bad, but it's far from 'minimal or trace noise'.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the advantage of buying the 6D over the 7D. The 7D has a few more features I like that the 6D doesn't. The only thing, I see, is that the 6D is full frame. Yay. (sarcasm).

The biggest difference is the sensor, which is FF.

In a sense, comparing 7D with 6D is like comparing normal BMW 5 Series to BMW M5. What is the difference? The engine. To those who care, that alone will make all the difference in the world and makes it worth the money.

Yes, 7D is nice, but if you need full-frame, you can't substitute it by anything else.

And if you think that full frame is no big deal, you clearly do not need it.

Never said I did need it, and I don't which is why the 7D is fine for me. Most who think they need FF truly don't either, as they have no clue why they "need" it except that they think it will make them better.

any other condescending attempted insulting remarks or is that it for now?

Sorry, not trying to insult in any way, I was just saying. I would probably agree that a lot of people who say they "need" FF, don't really "need" it. But some do, there are just a few of those. I am still not sure why bother with this 6D, I guess if Derrel is right and the AF performance does prove to be a lot better over D600. But if it isn't, one would have to be nuts to get 6D over D600. Now, if you have a lot of Canon glass, that could be another story.

Ernicus said:
The 7D if phenomenal at reduced noise at high iso, I shot 6400 often now that I can, with minimal or no trace of noise. IQ...? I doubt highly that the IQ of the 6D over the 7D will be that noticeable. so those 2 alone out of the equation...what's left?

If you don't see very noticeable noise from the 7D at ISO 6400, you're not looking very hard. Sure, it's not bad, but it's far from 'minimal or trace noise'.

So by saying "you're not looking very hard" would imply that one would need to look "hard" to notice it. Having to look hard to notice something would classify it as not very "noticeable" in my book. Thanks for solidifying my statement for me. ;-)

Is it better than the full frames out there, of course not. Does it do a damn good job at it, imo yes it does. Is it worth the upgrade? To me, no. All are opinions and should be taken as just that. Opinions.

I have read the review and I'm not sold on it. When the time comes I upgrade I think I will either get a new 7d or a good 2nd hand 5d mk2.

If 6D is given the same AF system as 7D, most people will prefer to buy 6D instead of 5D3 for $1400 less. I'm pretty certain 6D will have less profit margin over 5D3 to begin with. They will not want 6D eating into 5D3's market. The way I see it, in equivalent terms to crop factor, 6D is like 60D and 5D3 is like 7D. If 60D had similar AF to 7D, no one would want to pay the premium.

EDIT: I am at least happy that 6D is getting 1/8000 rather than the rumored 1/4000. And I'm pretty certain 11 point AF will be all cross type with higher sensitivity middle focus point. 6D is a good replacement for 5D2 at the same price range today and for those eyeing 5D2 price drop like me a great news indeed.

Those are official specs out. And the 11AF points aren't all cross type. ONE is. Epic fail on Canon's part.
From Canon's website:
AF Points
11 points

It really is what Derrel had said: a bid from canon to capture some of the resale market. If I had to choose between a USED 5d2 and a NEW 6D? It's a no brainer. 6D. Newer sensor with upgraded abilities and a NEW camera.

Center: cross-type at f/5.6; vertical line-sensitive at f/2.8.

Upper and lower AF points: vertical line-sensitive AF at f/5.6.

Other AF points: Horizontal line-sensitive AF at f/5.6.

Perhaps altering the vertical line and horizontal line will make a difference? I am not holding my breath. Even the crappy focus in the 5d2 is 9 AF Points (1 Cross Type) PLUS 6 AF Assist Points .
BIG let down.

It is what Derrel speculated before: A bid by canon to capture the resale market. If I had to choose between a USED 5d2 and the 6D? It's a no brainer.
Which just ticks me off. I waited to sell that damn 5d2 of mine. Crud.

I haven't read alllllll of the post but maybe it's tailored to the shooters who complained about the 5d mk ii's AF.... As in a smaller body, similar AF with a better low light capable AF point? I'm on a limb so forgive me if I mentioned what others might have said. My wild guess is that this will take place of the 5d mkii, the mk iii will be the bridge between this and the flagship canon body...That. I presume, it will have an AF system of the mk iii but with a crazy number of fps. I am not fully versed in the canon bodies but It makes sense in some ways.

Mach0 said:
I haven't read alllllll of the post but maybe it's tailored to the shooters who complained about the 5d mk ii's AF.... As in a smaller body, similar AF with a better low light capable AF point? I'm on a limb so forgive me if I mentioned what others might have said. My wild guess is that this will take place of the 5d mkii, the mk iii will be the bridge between this and the flagship canon body...That. I presume, it will have an AF system of the mk iii but with a crazy number of fps. I am not fully versed in the canon bodies but It makes sense in some ways.

You mean the 1DX? Lol

Ernicus said:

So by saying "you're not looking very hard" would imply that one would need to look "hard" to notice it. Having to look hard to notice something would classify it as not very "noticeable" in my book. Thanks for solidifying my statement for me. ;-)

Is it better than the full frames out there, of course not. Does it do a damn good job at it, imo yes it does. Is it worth the upgrade? To me, no. All are opinions and should be taken as just that. Opinions.

I would label the noise at ISO 6400 on the 7D as 'barely usable if you absolutely have no way around shooting at that high of an ISO whatsoever' And I shoot at ISO 6400 just about every other day on the 7D. Sometimes you do what you have to do to avoid blurry images, but the 7D's high ISO performance is a far sight from any full frame made in the last three years I've ever used. Like not even remotely in the ballpark. Comparing it and, say, a 5D MkII is like literal night and day.

I get the feeling that Canon's marketing department need a few more actual photographers in there, because when they make cuts they make daft feeling ones. That or they are trying to view the world through blinkers and are ignoring the market options out in the second hand market to the point where the second hand market actually threatens what they release as new products.

The 6D feels - lost. Which is odd because when they did the 60D they actually came out with a good result - cheaper than the 7D, lower spec, but well featured that if you couldn't go for the 7D the 60D would do you well. The 6D feels iffy, they've got some good features in there, but they've also appeared to ignore or cut others, no microphone jack sounds very odd - yes pros will use an external sound system; but a pro who's got the budget for a separate sound recording system is likely going to go for a higher end body anyway.

I don't know - the sensor and its high ISO performance might be its saving grace against the other features it seems to lack or at least under perform on; and the AF setup will have to be given some field tests before it can fully be ruled on how effective it actually is. Though I'm surprised that they stuck to just one cross point - I would have thought they could have easily fitted a few more in there without threatening the other market lines they have going.

The reviews that I have read, say that it has an external mike jack, but is missing the jack for the head phones.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back