Canon 6D Official

Even as an enthusiast, I feel let down. I was hoping for a more bare bones FF at a price that made it attractive. At this price point, I have to agree that a used MKII or 7D are still more attractive options. At least it has a fixed screen. I hate to say it, as a long time Canon customer, but it seems these days Nikon does a better job catering to those who already own their product, rather than those they're trying to sell their product to. I'm still butt hurt over the discontinuation of the xxD line.

All I know is that I'm in the market for a 5D Mk3 and if the 6D helps drive prices lower I'll be happy.

Do you think the 7D would still be the better camera for sports because of the auto focus system. Image Quality wise I think my 7D is awesome.

I'm pretty sold on the 5D3, especially after seeing these specs. I just hope it bumps prices a little bit, otherwise I'll probably wait for another sale like the one Adorama just had.

EDIT: I am at least happy that 6D is getting 1/8000 rather than the rumored 1/4000. And I'm pretty certain 11 point AF will be all cross type with higher sensitivity middle focus point. 6D is a good replacement for 5D2 at the same price range today and for those eyeing 5D2 price drop like me a great news indeed.

Actually, no it doesn't. Like the D600 it is maxed out at 1/4000.

Canon 6D shutter: 1/4000sec, 100,000 cycles
Nikon D600: 1/4000sec, 150,000 cycles

The other things that have the Canon forums buzzing:
Price = to D600
11 focus points vs 39 on D600
1/180 sec flash sync speed vs 1/200 on the D600
97% frame coverage vs 100% on D600
1 SD card slot vs 2 on the D600
4.5 FPS vs 5.5 on the D600
20.2 MP vs 24.3 on the D600
No built in flash (sure, not mandatory, but does come in handy and I would hate not having one)

This is still too expensive for most hobbyists. I miss a full frame digital camera with no fancy stuff like wifi and gps or really fancy menus with lots of crap that cost money to make. I'd like a camera with a 36x24 sensor, and basic adjustments only. Exposure and good ISO capabilities, that's all I need.

Let me introduce you to the 5D Classic. There's your bare-bone full-frame for under a grand. Enjoy!

Let me introduce you to the 5D Classic. There's your bare-bone full-frame for under a grand. Enjoy!

True, but its a second hand market only - so supply is always a bit iffy and they might come with added age/wear and tear problems. I do think its a valid market area though and - yeah, like a few others I was wondering if Canon would pitch their new lower budget fullframe at the sub $1K market.

TheFantasticG said:
Funny you should mention hobbyist because that is exactly who they are going after with the 6D (and Nikon with the D600). Not pros. It's your expectations that were overly inflated. I am the enthusiast (read: i dont make my money from cameras) that Canon and Nikon are marketing this camera to. I like built in GPS, Wifi, and touchscreen controls (I'll be ordering an EOS-M soon).. Looks to me like they are making cameras specifically for my market segment and marketing to us with these cameras. Don't be butthurt because they aren't pro. They have the 5DmK3 and D800 as the affordable pro FF cameras.

I didn't see where the official press release from Canon outlined touchscreen controls? Also, to the poster before this one I am posting, the press release from Canon only stated one cross type AF sensor at the center, and nothing about the others. I hope you are right about them all being cross type because that would bring it back into the ball game.

I could be okay with what this camera brought to the table IF it was $500 less. As is, you're paying near pro money for a camera that isn't as functional as a 7D for most real life shooting situations. To me, given the price and features, it's just bizarre. Especially considering the D600, which Nikon people are mildly disappointed with, beats it in virtually every measurable aspect.

I think that the autofocus is pretty disappointing compared to the D600. It should have at least used the 7D's system.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Well, let's give it a fair shot...as far as I know, this is the VERY FIRST EVER 11-point AF system Canon has used...they've had 9, and (9 + unmarked assist points), and 39, and 63, so on....but eleven??? THAT to me means it's quite likely to have a NEW AF system....don't be so quick to dismiss it...Nikon used 11 AF points in the D200, and the Fuji S5 Pro had an 11-point AF system, and the BEST autofocusing camera I have EVER used, the Nikon D2x...has eleven AF points. Of course, these are crop-framers...and the AF points cover fairly large parts of the frame. But still...

The number of AF points alone is not what determines how well the camera focuses or how it behaves...I think a smaller group, of say 4 active AF points, acting together with some intelligent analysis, is the fastest and best AF system under most conditions. Again....11-point AF...makes me think they developed an ALL-NEW, dedicated AF system for this camera. Again...like the D2x versus D3x, 11-point AF versus 51-point AF...I still think the D2x has the better-performing, more "sure" AF system, especially in dim,indoor or outdoor lighting near twilight. Yes, the fewer AF point system seems to be able to LOCK-ON, and track just a little bit more-consistently, and to achieve ONE-press Lock-On a bit more easily than the 51 point system using either 9-point active or 21-points active, when the D2x is using 4 of 11 points active in Group Dynamic AF mode.

I think this "counting of AF points" thing is like rating the beauty of a woman based ONLY UPON her bust measurement number, instead of her total,overall "package"...

And from what I can tell it doesn't have a PC port?

Yes. This is truly an expensive hobbyist camera. lol

In the last few years Canon has been getting more and more things wrong with the camera bodies. After the great success of 5D2 for video, they're putting out cameras that do pretty much the same damn thing but cost 16k and up. In their straight up "photography" segment, the only thing they did right is 1DX, because although 5d3 was a great upgrade to 5d2, Canon shooters got less for their money than Nikonians upgrading from D700 to D800.

Now, 6D vs D600? For the money, D600 blows the canon away in every single category that matters except the ISO. But if at ISO 6400 D600 looks clean, it won't matter that the canon goes up to 25k.

If I was shopping for a FF right now, I'd definitely go Nikon this time.

I think this "counting of AF points" thing is like rating the beauty of a woman based ONLY UPON her bust measurement number, instead of her total,overall "package"...

HAH

True, more points doesn't mean better AF, but I can bet D600 will have TONS better DR at low ISO.

Right...no PC outlet. Same as the Nikon D600--no PC outlet. Solution?? Buy the Nikon AS-15, (accessory shoe, number 15) which works on ANY brand of ISO standard hot shoe, and gives you a nifty PC port, right there on the top of the pentaprism!!! $19.95. I have used my AS-15 on my Canons, and the little Nikon D40, for eight years now. I LIKE having the PC cord connected at the pentaprism....it's one heck of a lot BETTER place than on the left-hand side of the body...it's less in the way AND you can see when the cord is not attached! I sometimes use a PC cord for quickie setups when I don't want to dig out a trigger set...and with my Sunpak flash, it's ALWAYS shot with a PC cord hook-up.

Nikon AS-15 Sync Terminal Adapter (Hot Shoe to PC) 3066 B&H

Back-ordered! hah! First time in years! FlashZebra.com has Chinese-made ones. BUY TWO, just, because well...buy TWO!

To be fair with things like pocketwizards coming down in price and the cheap range of ebay wireless radio remotes I can see PC cords being something that could easily be phased out of all but the top level bodies as something more "limited" in market appeal.

That said it will likely be $500 cheaper or so once it actually settles in the market. It's, eh, its still higher than I would have "liked" Canon to go with a body, but I will be interested to see where it really lands in performance and features against the 5DMII and the 7D.

No PC outlet, but it DOES HAVE built-in Wi-Fi!!!

Most reactions

Back