Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM

Hi guys. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to the thread. Sorry I wasn't clear, again that GT3 is not mine but I do adore the thing.

I have done a bit more shooting with the lens - I tried out the Canon Closeup Lens 500D:

CL1.jpg

I did not go into it thinking I suddenly transformed the 70-200 into a true macro lens, but 500D's overwhelmingly positive reviews justified the gamble of its sub-$200 cost. I got one acceptable watch shot:

CL2.jpg

And I tried my hand at my first round of flower shots ever:

Pics from 5D/70-200:

f4.jpg

f6.jpg

f7.jpg

f8.jpg

f9.jpg

f10.jpg

f12.jpg

f19.jpg

Pics from 5D/70-200/500D:

f13.jpg

f24.jpg

f25.jpg

f23.jpg

f26.jpg

f27.jpg

f28.jpg

f29.jpg

f30.jpg

f32.jpg

Very satisfied with the results for a first time doing the flower thang as one must start somewhere. :D

I was finally able to make it to the track. I live about an hour southeast of Lime Rock Park and an old family friend was there one day racing with the Vintage series. I took a lot of shots with the 1DII/70-200 II, and here are some of the better pictures.

Taken with the 2x Extender:
m11.jpg

m15.jpg

m16.jpg

m38.jpg

m52.jpg

m53.jpg

Taken without the Extender, 1DII/70-200 II:
m55.jpg

m56.jpg

m58.jpg

m59.jpg

m60.jpg

m61.jpg

m62.jpg

m63.jpg

m64.jpg

m65.jpg

m67.jpg

m69.jpg

m75.jpg

m76.jpg

m79.jpg

m80.jpg

m85.jpg

m86.jpg

m89.jpg

Again I am really impressed with the quality of the shots while using the Extender in good light, but the shots without it are far better. This lens has seriously upgraded my track/sports picture quality and the family friend who I shot that day was very impressed with the output. He is a Canon guy as well, and he let me try out his 28-300 L that day and I loved that lens. So versatile! It was really nice to be hitting deep track pics and then pan back to grab action in the nearfield without changing lenses.

I was finally able to make it to the track. I live about an hour southeast of Lime Rock Park and an old family friend was there one day racing with the Vintage series. I took a lot of shots with the 1DII/70-200 II, and here are some of the better pictures.

Taken with the 2x Extender:

Again I am really impressed with the quality of the shots while using the Extender in good light, but the shots without it are far better. This lens has seriously upgraded my track/sports picture quality and the family friend who I shot that day was very impressed with the output. He is a Canon guy as well, and he let me try out his 28-300 L that day and I loved that lens. So versatile! It was really nice to be hitting deep track pics and then pan back to grab action in the nearfield without changing lenses.

Holy crap those are some nice shots.

Hmm very impressive result with the 500D - I might have to get one of them myself if this lens is capable of getting that much magnification! Out of interest was this a full shot or a crop of a larger shot?

Also I'm impressed with your 2*TC results, I'm starting to work with this setup myself recently and the M2 of this lens certainly performs far and away better than the original with this TC. Image quality certainly takes a hit, as does focusing speed, but both remain quite usable!

Holy crap those are some nice shots.

Thanks! I have one more - A handheld moon shot that's been (obviously) cropped and processed:

MoonShot.jpg

1DII/70-200 II with 2x Extender.

I have no idea why the .exif info for this picture is nonexistant. :/

Hmm very impressive result with the 500D - I might have to get one of them myself if this lens is capable of getting that much magnification! Out of interest was this a full shot or a crop of a larger shot?

Thanks! It's absolutely, substantially cropped. I just tried to dig up the raw file for comparison but cannot seem to find it. I'll keep looking.

Also I'm impressed with your 2*TC results, I'm starting to work with this setup myself recently and the M2 of this lens certainly performs far and away better than the original with this TC. Image quality certainly takes a hit, as does focusing speed, but both remain quite usable!

Very usable - Surprisingly so. I was going to go with the 1.4x but I had friends already testing the 2x on this lens and sending me some super sharp pics with very satisfied feedback (albeit on much newer bodies), so I decided to take the chance. Very happy that I did!

though I still think the lenses current market price is a little bit high in comparison to the old.

Agreed. I would have loved to have saved ~ $500 or so on the II. At its current price I have to admit that I expected/demanded utterly awesome stupendousness. :D

the 70-200 f2.8 IS II USM is my dream lens...... sadly I can't afford it!

Same for the Porsche GT3...... :(

Back to Lime Rock Park again, this time shooting the PCA advanced run group driver's event. I continue to be impressed with the image quality of the 1D II / 70-200 IS II combo, and can only imagine what the lens would be like on the 1D IV:

l4.jpg

l81.jpg

l82.jpg

l83.jpg

l86.jpg

l88.jpg

l95.jpg

l100.jpg

l14.jpg

l15.jpg

l17.jpg

l23.jpg

l27.jpg

l31.jpg

l34.jpg

l41.jpg

l43.jpg

l67.jpg

l68.jpg

l72.jpg

l73.jpg

l74.jpg

l79.jpg

l80.jpg

Awesome! How does this stack up with the 200mm Prime?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back