Canon 70D vs Nikon D7100

freakin awesome video wow If I only knew well I guess I did but I had a 1000 dollar budget and my wife bought it for me even better. I have had second thoughts my t4i wasn't as good as I thought and the 70d was made with the t4i leaving the picture. I will still say money well spent . Thanks for showin I enjoyed it. kellyw

So honestly after much deliberation Ive finally rested on a conclusion. Im going to go with the Canon. Yes it doesnt have quite as good image quality, moire, dynamic range, etc. However the biggest difference for me was Touch screen, Menu interface, and in hand feel. I like the handgrip on the canon slightly more, just fit in my hand better, and yes my current experience with Canon helped me immensely in navigating and understanding what settings its on, and how I could change them.

The Nikon has a more confusing interface, I couldnt tell what mode I was on, when I changed modes it still didnt help, the only way I was able to take any pictures that turned out fair at all, was on full auto minus flash. Dont get me wrong, the Dual SD slot is something I will miss, or miss out on. Plus the better HDR mode will be noticed, however I do have CS6 so, I can always use that rather than the Canon version, never used HDR before so it will be a learning experience.

I do think the Nikon is certainly better with imagery, but again, Im a beginner/intermediate user, not a pro. The biggest diference will be how im using the camera itself, and if my settings are all spot on. It also will be pretty nice to not have to re-learn how to use the entire camera, which will let me work with the camera a bit easier in general as well.

I am going to go on my next work day and play with the Nikon again, just to completely confirm my results, so Im not 100% set, but pretty much. Thanks for all the help guys. I do appreciate you guys helping me put in into perspective regardless of choice.

Last edited:
Good luck and enjoy your new camera :)

So honestly after much deliberation Ive finally rested on a conclusion. Im going to go with the Canon. Yes it doesnt have quite as good image quality, moire, dynamic range, etc. However the biggest difference for me was Touch screen, Menu interface, and in hand feel. I like the handgrip on the canon slightly more, just fit in my hand better, and yes my current experience with Canon helped me immensely in navigating and understanding what settings its on, and how I could change them.

The Nikon has a more confusing interface, I couldnt tell what mode I was on, when I changed modes it still didnt help, the only way I was able to take any pictures that turned out fair at all, was on full auto minus flash. Dont get me wrong, the Dual SD slot is something I will miss, or miss out on. Plus the better HDR mode will be noticed, however I do have CS6 so, I can always use that rather than the Canon version, never used HDR before so it will be a learning experience.

I do think the Nikon is certainly better with imagery, but again, Im a beginner/intermediate user, not a pro. The biggest diference will be how im using the camera itself, and if my settings are all spot on. It also will be pretty nice to not have to re-learn how to use the entire camera, which will let me work with the camera a bit easier in general as well.

I am going to go on my next work day and play with the Nikon again, just to completely confirm my results, so Im not 100% set, but pretty much. Thanks for all the help guys. I do appreciate you guys helping me put in into perspective regardless of choice.

Not sure I fully understand your reasoning here. You say the Nikon is better in most ways except for its' menu's learning curve. It shouldn't take more than a week or 2 to be comfortable with it and then you have a camera that you admit has better IQ. You might regret not going with the Nikon after a couple of weeks knowing that you may have been more comfortable with the menu by then. I know it was big adjustment for me going from the menu of the D40x to the less intuitive menu of the D300, but once I got comfortable with it I was glad I did.

There could end up being some buyers remorse either way. It really depends. If I were in the same position as the OP, I would get the camera that better suits my needs (Nikon). However, someone like my wife would get the one that felt more comfortable in her hands and had a familiar menu system. She simply would not have the patience to read the manual, tinker, watch youtube videos or even ask the forum.

I find it reasonable when someone suggests going to a store to try them out, or renting if possible.
It certainly helps to be comfortable and confident when dropping $1000.00 on anything.

Not sure I fully understand your reasoning here. You say the Nikon is better in most ways except for its' menu's learning curve. It shouldn't take more than a week or 2 to be comfortable with it and then you have a camera that you admit has better IQ. You might regret not going with the Nikon after a couple of weeks knowing that you may have been more comfortable with the menu by then. I know it was big adjustment for me going from the menu of the D40x to the less intuitive menu of the D300, but once I got comfortable with it I was glad I did.

Well to be completely honest im reconsidering my decision again. The reason being, today I really took some time and played with the Nikon menu system, and learned how to get around on it. At this point there are some features I like about it more than the Canon in layout. Although I was playing with the D7000, not 7100. My main gripe on hands on between the two at this point are as follows:
Remember all of these are basing 70D vs D7000, not 7100.
D7000 grip vs Canon grip, the canon feels much better in my hand. My fingers hook onto it, and my thumb falls in the perfect spot. However ive heard the 7100 has slightly improved its grip, so I'm trying to stay neutral on that.
I do like the Canon rocker for the menu system more, it seems to flow smoother, and make navigation easier.
The canon does focus better, and more efficiently, I noticed a lot more of my practice shots were out of focus than id have liked. Again another feature improved on by the 7100.
The Canon LCD does look superior, dunno why, but it just does. The shots that I take actually look better on the LCD than they do on a monitor being reviewed later.
I did find an awesome deal on the 7100, I can manage to get it for $1200 WITH a 18-140mm lens. This is a big deal to me, because I LOVE my 18-135mm Canon lens, because its focal lengths are perfect for tons of my uses. Im gunna upgrade to better lenses later, but still not the point.

There could end up being some buyers remorse either way. It really depends. If I were in the same position as the OP, I would get the camera that better suits my needs (Nikon). However, someone like my wife would get the one that felt more comfortable in her hands and had a familiar menu system. She simply would not have the patience to read the manual, tinker, watch youtube videos or even ask the forum.

I find it reasonable when someone suggests going to a store to try them out, or renting if possible.
It certainly helps to be comfortable and confident when dropping $1000.00 on anything.

Do you mean Nikon suits your needs, or mine better? Just clarifying. I do think there will be a little buyers remorse no matter what, tbh. Nikon ill miss the touchscreen, canon ill miss the IQ and dynamic range.

Bump, mostly for lens reccomendations if I were to go with Nikon. I already had L glass picked out for the Canon, but if Im going to to Nikon I need to get an idea which lenses are best. Im not able to find any good websites that list a bunch of good nikon lenses, and what they are good at. Kind of just having to go off of DXOMark atm for IQ on the lenses.

So im looking for a Telephoto 50-300mm would be sufficient, a portrait or walk around replacement for the kit lens 18-140mm range, and a wide/ultra wide 10-20mm roughly. Thoughts, or is there some website that I missed that has a good set of recommendations? Thanks, DD.

Just buy one and never look back, either way you're getting a great camera. You can second guess yourself forever or start taking pictures and enjoying life.
Don't think about it to long, in 6 month something better for the same price will come to market, it always does.

Just buy one and never look back, either way you're getting a great camera. You can second guess yourself forever or start taking pictures and enjoying life.
Don't think about it to long, in 6 month something better for the same price will come to market, it always does.

Best advise you got here, you are not buying a house or even a car, both good cameras so get one and go outside and have fun.

Welp just so you guys know, I actually ended up purchasing the D7100 with 18-140mm Kit lens. Super excited to have it get here. In the process of selling my Canon stuff.

Welp just so you guys know, I actually ended up purchasing the D7100 with 18-140mm Kit lens. Super excited to have it get here. In the process of selling my Canon stuff.
Glad to hear that.
My D7100 is an extrodinary camera, the pictures I am getting from it never stop to excite me which I think what is important in a hobby, so sharp, so full of details and the dynamic range is amazing.
Enjoy your new camera in good health.

BTW so far I didn't hear any info about the new lens the 18-140mm so I would love to hear what you are thinking of it.

Glad to hear that.
My D7100 is an extrodinary camera, the pictures I am getting from it never stop to excite me which I think what is important in a hobby, so sharp, so full of details and the dynamic range is amazing.
Enjoy your new camera in good health.

BTW so far I didn't hear any info about the new lens the 18-140mm so I would love to hear what you are thinking of it.

Thanks, im very interested to see how it performs as well, I loved my Canon 18-135 for the wide focal length and fair IQ. Im extremely excited to put it through its paces in the upcoming months.

Bump, mostly for lens reccomendations if I were to go with Nikon. I already had L glass picked out for the Canon, but if Im going to to Nikon I need to get an idea which lenses are best. Im not able to find any good websites that list a bunch of good nikon lenses, and what they are good at. Kind of just having to go off of DXOMark atm for IQ on the lenses.

So im looking for a Telephoto 50-300mm would be sufficient, a portrait or walk around replacement for the kit lens 18-140mm range, and a wide/ultra wide 10-20mm roughly. Thoughts, or is there some website that I missed that has a good set of recommendations? Thanks, DD.

Congrats on the new camera. I was very happy with the Nikon 70-300mm on the D300. I also got the 28-300mm but I don't think the IQ is as good as the 70-300mm. My favorite walking around lens that won't break the bank was the Sigma 17-50 2.8, excellent IQ.
I also have the Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 which is another very sharp lens (though a couple months later they came out with the 10-20mm 3.5 which I would have preferred.) Hope you enjoy your new rig.

Most reactions

Back